Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

The PM has called Carr's tax arrangements "not morally right".

Carr meanwhile had to defend himself against a heckler who shouted "You don't pay tax"

Other celebs accused of aggressive tax avoidance include members of Take That, including the "saint who walks amongst us" Gary Barlow.

I wonder if Carr will continue to pretend to edgy and right on and sticking it to the bankers?

Good for him. If there's a loop hole, exploit it!

I don't know how any politician can accuse anyone of carrying out there business in a 'morally wrong' way.

He's not breaking any laws, just exploiting the governments incompetence.

That's all right then, but isn't it a little hypercritical to criticise the governments tax rate on the rich and keep quiet on Labours record, when it was worse?

I've never kept quiet on Labour's record. In fact I never keep quiet.:hihi: Sorry all.:blush: The thing is JFKvsNixon, Cameron, unfortunately, is currently in government, so he can do something about it now, whilst talking about what Brown did is pretty futile. Sorry, if this doesn't fit in with your political idealogy, but it's pretty common sense to me.

I've never kept quiet on Labour's record. In fact I never keep quiet.:hihi: Sorry all.:blush: The thing is JFKvsNixon, Cameron, unfortunately, is currently in government, so he can do something about it now, whilst talking about what Brown did is pretty futile. Sorry, if this doesn't fit in with your political idealogy, but it's pretty common sense to me.

He does not have any sense, but he is halfway there as he is common.:)

Good for him. If there's a loop hole, exploit it!

I don't know how any politician can accuse anyone of carrying out there business in a 'morally wrong' way.

He's not breaking any laws, just exploiting the governments incompetence.

That's an all too familiar phrase, isn't it? Everytime the lowlife politicians of all persuasions were faced with their scrounging and fraud, we had the same line,'we have not broken the law'. Their 'incompetence' is very convenient for themselves and their rich friends on the make.

What do you believe my political ideology to be?

I'm as cynical as you are about politicians, and I believe that the truth is that the 50% tax rate was only introduced as a trap for the Tories, so people can criticise them "for looking after their rich friends" when they cut it back.

If it was the right thing to do it would have been done earlier, maybe as soon the crisis started? Anyway for me the real issue isn't the tax rates but the levels of tax avoidance.

LOL at Disasterous Dave, the poor old chump has finally realised these last few weeks that he's not all popular and has now embarked on a campaign of trying to sympathise with some supposed public opinion in a vain attempt to try and make himself a regular guy, just like the man in the street, and win votes.

Maybe he could do a double act with Ken Livingstone. Or Ken Dodd. Or Philip Green.

cameron's dad could accompany them on the banjo if he wasn't dead - cam snr hid the family brass in offshore tax havens, cam inherited it using tax avoidance.

having said that I think jimmy carr is a dog - I earn a tiny fraction of his income and pay every penny due, like nearly everyone else.

Archived