Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

It is morally wrong.

Anybody who disagrees is too stupid to realise that it's OK to criticise somebody who you like.

If you are talking about Carr, why is it morally wrong? Do you pay more tax than the least you are asked to pay? When was the last time you said to the taxman, "I know you want X but have some more"?

Guest sibon
How is it the least fair tax? A flat rate is the only fair method because you earn more you pay more you earn less you pay less.

I think you two are at cross purposes. You are proposing that it would be fair if everyone payed the same percentage, I1L2T3 is arguing that all paying the same amount is unfair.

That was the principle of the Poll Tax. More than any other one thing it brought down Mrs T. To me, fairness is everyone paying the same percentage of their gross earnings. There should be a flat rate, it could be so simple.

I would go for getting rid altogether and increasing VAT, the more you spend the more you pay, even criminal spend but they don't pay income tax.

I think you two are at cross purposes. You are proposing that it would be fair if everyone payed the same percentage, I1L2T3 is arguing that all paying the same amount is unfair.

I know, that is why I was asking how he/she thinks us all paying the same percentage is the least fair system.

I would go for getting rid altogether and increasing VAT, the more you spend the more you pay, even criminal spend but they don't pay income tax.

You've hit the nail on the head there MrSmith. VAT would be the great equaller for us all. It is almost impossible to avoid VAT.

Guest sibon
I know, that is why I was asking how he/she thinks us all paying the same percentage is the least fair system.

I think he was saying that all paying the same amount is the least fair sytem.

Eg. You earn £100k, I earn £10K, we both pay £5k tax.

Like the Poll Tax, before it was thrown out by an angry populace.

Wouldn't work. In fact nearly every time such a tax has been implemented in the last few hundred years it ended in failure.

It is the least fair tax of all. That's why it fails.

It fails because it’s the fairest tax and the majority don't want it to be fair they want the rich minority to pay a higher percentage than they have to.

If you are talking about Carr, why is it morally wrong? Do you pay more tax than the least you are asked to pay? When was the last time you said to the taxman, "I know you want X but have some more"?

It's morally wrong because he avoided paying the tax he was supposed to pay. The tax man didn't tell him to pay 1% tax did he?

I pay the amount of tax the tax man asks me to pay, Jimmy went out of his way to avoid doing this.

If this was somebody you didn't like, i.e, some politician, you'd be calling for his resignation. Please don't come back and say you wouldn't because everybody knows you'd be lying.

You like Jimmy Carr, and you're too stupid to realise that it's OK to criticise somebody you like, don't worry about it, there are many people like you.

Listen, Jimmy is an intelligent man, he knew what he was doing was wrong and he's admitted he was wrong to do it.

It's his mistake, and it's for him to say if his actions were wrong. He's admitted they were wrong. Therefor I and Jimmy are right and you're wrong.

On this point, the Govt decided this week to no longer release a previous agreement of showing the Cabinets tax affairs. I wonder why????

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/06/21/david-cameron-tax-cabinet-released-near-future_n_1614631.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

WeX supports anybody being immoral about tax, not just liable comedians. He'll love this link.

Archived