Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

How is it the least fair tax? A flat rate is the only fair method because you earn more you pay more you earn less you pay less.

A flat rate as a percentage of income may have some legs. The idea has been discussed recently.

A head (poll) tax? Forget it.

On this point, the Govt decided this week to no longer release a previous agreement of showing the Cabinets tax affairs. I wonder why????

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/06/21/david-cameron-tax-cabinet-released-near-future_n_1614631.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Oh I do hope some journalist takes that as a challenge, and starts to dig around in their tax affairs.

I've a feeling it will be a very rich seam to mine.

Bigger than the MP's expenses scandal.

It fails because it’s the fairest tax and the majority don't want it to be fair they want the rich minority to pay a higher percentage than they have to.

No, poll tax it isn't fair. Perfect example of why posted above by sibon.

The only way it would work is if we had very low levels of wage inequality. But we don't. That woould be a bit too commie for you.

Oh I do hope some journalist takes that as a challenge, and starts to dig around in their tax affairs.

Indeed. Again this is not the time to be partisan. We want the tax affairs of them all published, not just ministers but every MP. We want all the bad eggs out of politics from all parties. I'm sure there will be Labour MPs up to their necks in it too. Weed 'em out. Get rid.

Indeed. Again this is not the time to be partisan. We want the tax affairs of them all published, not just ministers but every MP. We want all the bad eggs out of politics from all parties. I'm sure there will be Labour MPs up to their necks in it too. Weed 'em out. Get rid.

Agreed. Absolutely!

On this point, the Govt decided this week to no longer release a previous agreement of showing the Cabinets tax affairs. I wonder why????

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/06/21/david-cameron-tax-cabinet-released-near-future_n_1614631.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

I wonder why David Cameron came out with these comments on the same day, it's almost like he tried to bury the news.

I agree that some tax schemes are very dodgy & immoral, but it's up to the government to close these loopholes, they don't, I wonder why that is?

Criticism says more about the critic than the criticised.

I wonder why David Cameron came out with these comments on the same day, it's almost like he tried to bury the news.

I agree that some tax schemes are very dodgy & immoral, but it's up to the government to close these loopholes, they don't, I wonder why that is?

Criticism says more about the critic than the criticised.

But they do close some. All tax avoidance schemes have to be registered with HMRC, assessed and approved. I'd be very surpised if HMRC had anywhere near the resources it requires to fully assess every scheme though.

Even if a scheme is registered it doesn't mean it is legal. Once assessed it could actually be deemed illegal and closed down.

Given it the Times & Sunday Times doing the present investigative work that has brought this to light, id wager that Murdoch is fully trying to expose the cabinet, no doubt because he believes they fubared him by allowing the Leveson enquiry.

Quite hypocritically, i believe the Murdoch empire uses over 270 tax havens. You just couldnt make it up....

No, poll tax it isn't fair. Perfect example of why posted above by sibon.

The only way it would work is if we had very low levels of wage inequality. But we don't. That woould be a bit too commie for you.

I think we are at crossed wires here because you agree with me here.:)

A flat rate as a percentage of income may have some legs. The idea has been discussed recently.

Archived