Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

Feel free to provide a more accurate model.

I was simply pointing out that rich people have more disposable income than poor ones. They save more and have more discretionary spending.

That is why VAT is considered to be a regressive tax.

Of course, there are ways around that. I've alluded to one in an answer to Cyclone up there ^^^.

I'm sorry but there is no need to provide any alternative model. Tax is calculated at the point it is levied this is where your assumptions push you off the mark. For a tax to be regressive it has to lessen the more you earn and VAT simply does not do this. We all pay the same rate, no matter what we do and you cant avoid it. If anything the rich will pay more as they will tend to buy more luxury goods compared to the poor who will be paying a greater proportion of their earning on reduced rate or zero rate goods.

what amazes me is that people get seriously angry at impoverished doleys fiddling a few quid by not declaring a few hours behind a bar but justify a posh cambridge boy on £3.3 million a year pretending to work for a non existent offshore company and taking his wedge as a completely false 'loan', not realizing the error of his ways when he drives his range rover past a hospital or a school or a homeless person but when he gets verballed by the times and worries about the mug punters he is diddling deciding not to pay their hard taxed readies to see his crap shows.

what about - some selfish rich dog takes highly expensive advice and squirrels their money away in a K2 type scheme at 1% - if the scheme is then ruled unlawful, they are charged with with criminal tax evasion and face paying all the tax back and a massive fine, on 2nd conviction, prison time. just like dole fiddling.

what amazes me is that people get seriously angry at impoverished doleys fiddling a few quid by not declaring a few hours behind a bar but justify a posh cambridge boy on £3.3 million a year pretending to work for a non existent offshore company

Some really surprising figures surfaced today. HMRC have reported that over 80% of people who earn between £500k and £10m pay at least 40% in income tax. So it would appear that they are defending a level of tax avoidance that is not even the norm amongst high earners. They are defending the exception rather than the norm.

That said, nobody should be fiddling the system Frank. Rich or poor.

Archived