Jimmy Carr, tax avoidance, and morality

Cameron, master of the unforeseen consequence, has shot himself in the foot this time with this ill thought out bit of popularism.

He has picked on his own, and unlike the little people, they have money to defend themselves. Soon it will be open season on celebs and politicians throwing accusations and counter accusations at each other.

If I was Jimmy Carr I would defend myself by asking (and making it my business to find out,) exactly how much tax Mr Cameron pays on his combined income, and what subsidies he gets on his landholdings etc, followed by every member of the cabinet.

Personally, I would like to know what tax George Osborne, Tony Blair and Bono pay compared with their income.

With any luck this could become as big a scandal as the MPs expenses.

I can't really see any front line politician using tax any avoidance schemes.

Cameron, master of the unforeseen consequence, has shot himself in the foot this time with this ill thought out bit of popularism.

He has picked on his own, and unlike the little people, they have money to defend themselves. Soon it will be open season on celebs and politicians throwing accusations and counter accusations at each other.

If I was Jimmy Carr I would defend myself by asking (and making it my business to find out,) exactly how much tax Mr Cameron pays on his combined income, and what subsidies he gets on his landholdings etc, followed by every member of the cabinet.

Personally, I would like to know what tax George Osborne, Tony Blair and Bono pay compared with their income.

With any luck this could become as big a scandal as the MPs expenses.

Tony Blair's tax arrangements have been covered quite well in Private Eye lately and some of the stuff from there leaked into the mainstream media. If the findings are to be believed Blair pays about 3% tax. Shocking really.

whats that got to do with it ? its a tax avoidance scheme arnt we all entitled to be init ?

No I don't think you understand how it works. You'll struggle to avoid paying tax on your income if you're currently on PAYE.

No I don't think you understand how it works. You'll struggle to avoid paying tax on your income if you're currently on PAYE.

How has a useless, tupenny, hapenny, comic like him got so much brass then?

Archived