Help put Alan Turing on the £10 note.

Every so often, they change the famous person on the £10 note. Currently it's Darwin.

There's a petition to put Alan Turning on the next one; for anyone who wants to sign, here's the link:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/31659

(personally, I think they should have both Darwin and Turing on the next one, and get rid of that other person, on the reverse).

I agree Alan Turing along with others at Bletchley made a massive contribution to his country in WW2 and afterwards to some extent. Very sad it ended how it did for him. I'm sure a lot of folks know they have named a road after him in Manchester (Alan Turing Way) - close to the Arena built for the Commonwealth Games. Anyone not familiar with the contribution this bloke made in helping the War effort really ought to read it up - it was quite extraordinary and either led to us 'winning' or at the very least shortening the War by 2 or more years with the saving of lives on both sides. I'll be signing the petition but would love to see others eg Churchill, Monty, Harris etc etc possibly given some thought in future years? Some people might think though that it would just be 'raking up' the past which we ought to be forgetting? I reckon we forget things like that at our peril!

Every so often, they change the famous person on the £10 note. Currently it's Darwin.

There's a petition to put Alan Turning on the next one; for anyone who wants to sign, here's the link:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/31659

(personally, I think they should have both Darwin and Turing on the next one, and get rid of that other person, on the reverse).

Is this the guy who was asked to crack Japanese codes after DDay here and by most parts succeed?

I do agree that one side is totally wasted. :hihi:

Turing, even more than the code cracking, actually invented the digital computer.

The man was a genius, but was the typical, self effacing English gentleman.

He let the Yankees take all the glory for his work.

And therefore they took all the profit.

I'd have thought Tim Berners-Lee would be a pretty good candidate considering he changed the world for all time. There again, he'd probably eschew such an accolade.

I think you have to be dead unless you're the queen.

Turing is a good idea, but I think we should get away from scientists for a change. Why not have Turner?

Archived