Who was the last British monarch to be killed?

George V's private physician,Lord Dawson of Penn,wrote in his own private diary that he had admistered a lethal dose of morphine and cocaine to hasten the kings end to prevent further strain on the family and so that the kings death could be announced in the next mornings Times.

I can't think why he would record that in his diary if it hadn't done it.

George V's private physician,Lord Dawson of Penn,wrote in his own private diary that he had admistered a lethal dose of morphine and cocaine to hasten the kings end to prevent further strain on the family and so that the kings death could be announced in the next mornings Times.

Maybe that's why Murdoch bought it. As a republican he has all that power to have monarchs bumped off.

Never proven - or disproven - in a court of law, chiefly because nobody saw any point in finding out. The man was dying anyway, and if his pain relief killed him before the illness did, it made no significant difference to anything...

As a by-the by, nor was the suspected poisoning of Charles II.

I can't think why he would record that in his diary if it hadn't done it.

Yes but still it's a grey area. I mean, if he had had lung disease would that dosage have killed him? It shuts down breathing but if he hadn't had lung disease would it have shut it down completely?

Yes but still it's a grey area. I mean, if he had had lung disease would that dosage have killed him? It shuts down breathing but if he hadn't had lung disease would it have shut it down completely?

The choice would have been, to allow the King to live a little longer in agony, or for the Doctor to give him a does of painkillers to ease the pain. The doctor was aware that the dose needed to ease the pain would have in all likelihood been lethal as he documented it in his diary, but he judged it in the King's best interest to receive the painkillers.

Archived