Who was the last British monarch to be killed?

The choice would have been, to allow the King to live a little longer in agony, or for the Doctor to give him a does of painkillers to ease the pain. The doctor was aware that the dose needed to ease the pain would have in all likelihood been lethal as he documented it in his diary, but he judged it in the King's best interest to receive the painkillers.

And, as mentioned above, the King's physician administered the painkillers when he did, so that the "Quality" papers would get the announcement story to publish, that following morning, rather than the "icky", lowbrow tabloids.

As a by-the by, nor was the suspected poisoning of Charles II.

Charles II once, when asked by his brother James why he constantly exposed himself to the danger of assassination by wandering around alone without any courtiers or retinue, famously replied "No danger. For nobody would kill me to make you King."

I don't mean to imply that there is doubt about the physician's killing of George V - clearly the doctor did administer a lethal dose - but I would still lay odds that his official cause of death, as recorded on the death certificate, will not be "poisoning" or anything remotely similiar. That might rule him out as the 'correct' answer to this question - depending on who asked it and why.

Charles II once, when asked by his brother James why he constantly exposed himself to the danger of assassination by wandering around alone without any courtiers or retinue, famously replied "No danger. For nobody would kill me to make you King."

I don't mean to imply that there is doubt about the physician's killing of George V - clearly the doctor did administer a lethal dose - but I would still lay odds that his official cause of death, as recorded on the death certificate, will not be "poisoning" or anything remotely similiar. That might rule him out as the 'correct' answer to this question - depending on who asked it and why.

Death by opiate overdose is usually by either respiratory arrest or aspiration rather than poisoning. Considering the fact that there was a Doctor and nurse on hand it would be a good guess that it was an respiratory arrest that killed him. Which is also probably the same way he would have gone if the Doctor had left him.

Charles I was not the monarch, he had been deposed by the Revolution.

And also it was not Britain in those days , he was King of England.

It's not clear from the OP as he says the 'last British monarch', so it's not clear if he means a monarch of all of Britain or a monarch who was British which would include all of the monarchs of the British Isles including Scottish and Welsh as well as English.

Maybe that's why Murdoch bought it. As a republican he has all that power to have monarchs bumped off.

I guess that's why they gave the Jubilee 13 straight pages in the Times in the next morning's print edition?

this is true. I bought the paper the next morning and I counted them. 13 pages from the front page in. They finally put a bit of news in to the paper on page 14. Incredible.

Without even having to resort to Google, I can safely state that it was Queen Victoria.

She was poisoned in 1836 as an outcome of licking the back of the first postage stamp ever invented ... the notorious Penny Yellow! The yellow pigment was of course arsenic. The 'Philatelic Poisoner', a certain Stanley Unwin-Gibbons then legged it back to the island of St Helena where he'd previously (up to 1821) owned a successful yellow wallpaper manufacturing business in partnership with the exiled Napoleon Bonaparte.

('Alcopedia' note ... Queen Victoria was buried in her beloved city of Turin (August 23rd 1836) in a paupers grave, wrapped only in a simple linen tablecloth which later went missing)

That is brilliant :hihi::hihi:

Archived