Britain is Full and over crowding?

It is far too easy to simply cry Daily Mail at anything remotely anti immigration. There has been a shortage of midwives in recent years and figures for London boroughs like Ealing show 45% of council housing is occupied by immigrants, just as the hospital there is mainly occupied with immigrant births.

I have no fixed opinion on this subject yet as it is too hysterical. I'd like to ask one question, when will the "it's only the Mail" contributors consider the country to be overcrowded? Yes we'll always muddle through but does it take the Peak District or the Highlands to be covered in flats and more roads? When unemployment is at 6 million? London boroughs like Lewisham and Hackney have massive 'diverse' and young populations. I don't need to spell out why that is. What happens when these masses reach employment age and there are no jobs but carry on reproducing? In short when will the liberal/left concede there is overpopulation? Do the stats I've quoted worry them?

It is far too easy to simply cry Daily Mail at anything remotely anti immigration. There has been a shortage of midwives in recent years and figures for London boroughs like Ealing show 45% of council housing is occupied by immigrants, just as the hospital there is mainly occupied with immigrant births.

I have no fixed opinion on this subject yet as it is too hysterical. I'd like to ask one question, when will the "it's only the Mail" contributors consider the country to be overcrowded? Yes we'll always muddle through but does it take the Peak District or the Highlands to be covered in flats and more roads? When unemployment is at 6 million? London boroughs like Lewisham and Hackney have massive 'diverse' and young populations. I don't need to spell out why that is. What happens when these masses reach employment age and there are no jobs but carry on reproducing? In short when will the liberal/left concede there is overpopulation? Do the stats I've quoted worry them?

Thats an excellent post.

You must be racist.

Thats an excellent post.

You must be racist.

In championing the post you fail to appreciate that the majority of midwives in London are probably immigrants or the children of immigrants...doh

Well the slums were cleared after the war and people were in new blocks in a lot of places. In addition at that time poor areas often had spacious housing such as Brixton and Notting Hill.

Ah. Brixton and Notting Hill. In other words the dark people moved in and turned nice spacious middle class areas into slums. Slums were cleared after the war, on top of the housing that was bombed, and new slums were built. Have a walk round Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Southwark, etc, and you'll see the post war slums thrown up on the cheap, like Ronan Point. London has always had slums and not related to immigration unless you think Dickens was writing about multiculturalism.

Thats an excellent post.

You must be racist.

Indeed, it is practically impossible to discuss this without the Muesli brigade pointing the finger.

I'd never vote BNP and my girlfriend's name is Singh however my job visiting councils across the UK has opened my eyes.

In response to Boyfriday I agree that many of those midwives may be immigrants or the daughters of immigrants. All I'd say is that hundreds and thousands of young families arriving and having children has inevitably caused strain. In 15-20 years the offspring of the current influx will be reaching employment age in a nation consisting of shops with no huge industries to soak up these people.

I'd also say that enclaves, a 'balkanisation' of the UK with non integrated communities dressed in cultural uniform, often not speaking english and asking for non interference by 'racist' councils in 'cultural practices' is absurd.

I remember a hoo hah a few years back about Muslims 'demanding' Sharia Law in the UK. I believe this was a press invention or exaggeration. However today's radical ideas may seem more mainstream and acceptable in 30 years when the Muslim population is 8 million instead of 2. That's when you'll get riots and the extremists of the BNP and EDL will suddenly seem moderate.

Ah. Brixton and Notting Hill. In other words the dark people moved in and turned nice spacious middle class areas into slums. Slums were cleared after the war, on top of the housing that was bombed, and new slums were built. Have a walk round Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Southwark, etc, and you'll see the post war slums thrown up on the cheap, like Ronan Point. London has always had slums and not related to immigration unless you think Dickens was writing about multiculturalism.

No. The point I'm making is that places like Brixton and Notting Hill used to have spacious affordable housing which was cheap, that's the reason why they had high immigrant populations, but they weren't slums, the housing was spacious and plentiful.

Incidentally I have lived in Hackney and Tower Hamlets and know Southwark very well, the council estates there have social problems, but they are in no way slums, they are maintained by the council/housing association, they are nothing like slums.

When decent housing in places like Brixton and Notting Hill was available alongside plentiful good quality council housing in the 70s, and 80s there weren't slums.

Bickering, sniping and insults and quotes posting them removed - keep it civil and on topic please and lets see if it's actually possible to have a sensible discussion on this forum.

It sounds like the mods already trawl the DM website to decide which threads to go heavy on before they're even started.

Not at all- I just want to have a bit of notice of how many different variants of the same thread we're likely to get.

If you have any proof that I 'go heavy on' any viewpoint that is within forum rules I'd like to see it.

Archived