Britain is Full and over crowding?

I agree MrSmith, the culture of a lifetime on Benefits didn't originate in Afghanistan or Pakistan or Iraq, it was created in the UK & Western countries like the UK. The immigrants are the symptom not the cause.

it must be so easy sitting in your black and white simplistic life

My life is very easy thanks, but yours must so much easier with you being too lazy to come up with an intelligent coherent argument to counter what I type.

It is so overcrowded we have space to build over 1.5 Billion homes!

You don't have room to build anything like that - as you well know.

Homes require roads so that people, removal vans, delivery vehicles, fire engines, police cars the scrotes who are going to rip off anything you leave lying around outside and all sorts of other 'visitors' can get to them.

Let's assume you build 1000 new homes. 6 houses per acre is pretty dense, IMO. (You won't get much of a garden to grow your veggies [or your recreational crops];) on 1/6 of an acre.

You also need land to build the roads, the primary school, the secondary school, the shops, the doctors' and dentists' surgeries, the community buildings and recreational land that the residents of those houses are going to need.

You might only need 167 acres for the thousand houses, but how much do you need for the rest of the project?

I'm sure nobody on this forum is unaware of the societal problems associated with the tower blocks built in the '60's. Do you advocate building more little boxes like those?

People need space. Space in which to live, space in which to play and space just to walk around. They need homes, but they also need the other societal structures (mentioned supra.)

I once lived in (what had been) a beautiful market town (famous for being the place where King John refused to sign the Magna Carta.) The County Council decided that that town should be zoned for development. The developers moved in and built about a thousand houses. they promised to buid doctors' surgeries, dentists' surgeries, shops and all the rest, but didn't actually get around to doing so. The roads were 'a bit on the narrow' side. - Emergency vehicles could get through ... provided people weren't parked on the roads. Most of the houses were crap - built with pre-fabricated walls about 4cm thick - If somebody farted in one bedroom you could hear it in the next. The prices were high, though. :hihi:

They did have to build a new primary school and a new secondary school, too. (Both of which were almost immediately full.)

That market town was in a decidedly 'rural' area, but there was far less land for people to walk on or play on than there is in most cities.

At the moment, the UK imports more than 40% of the food consumed by the people living there. That isn't a huge problem provided:

1. The people in the UK can afford to pay to import food.

2. The people in those countries which export food to the UK are prepared to continue to do so.

We've already been told that the use of agrochemicals is going to reduce, so yields are likely to reduce, too. - If the population of the UK continues to increase and the agricultural yields decrease, the UK will need to import an even greater percentage of its food.

What happens if:

1. The people who export food to the UK decide either (a) to eat it themselves or (b) to export it to another country?

2. The number of people in the UK (and also the percentage of people in the UK) who do not have employment increases? How will they afford to pay for imported food?

3. The cost of importing food - both the cost of the food itself and the cost of the fuel and manpower to import it - rises significantly?

A couple of anecdotal comments:

My son and his family came to visit me in April. I asked him to bring me some Danish Blue cheese (from Tesco.) He did. it cost more than the Danish Blue I buy in Florida (imported from Denmark) and the standard was far lower.

We had a strawberry festival in early April. I bought 14lb of strawberries for 80p (approx) a pound. When I was in England (in May) my son had English strawberries he had bought. The punnet said that the price was £4.50 for 400gm - and that was a reduced price!

I visit the UK once or twice a year. Prices rise everywhere - not just in the UK - but I am amazed (and horrified) by some of the UK price increases I've noticed (particularly for food items) during the past couple of years.

Why is food becoming (comparatively) so much more expensive in the UK?

Could it be that demand is increasing? (Not just that people are eating more, but that more people are eating it?)

Have local food supplies increased at the same rate as the increase in the UK population? (In 2010, the UK population increased by 0.8% - the biggest annual increase in over 50 years.) (here's the link.) did the UK's food production increase by 0.8% that year?

Getting back to the original subject - (and I'm certainly aware of the difference between the UK, Great Britain and England.)

IMO, England is over-crowded. Too many people on too little land. - It's particularly bad in the South East (a region I prefer to avoid ;)) but it's pretty crowded elsewhere, too.

I drove from Sheffield to Manchester Airport in mid-May. pleasant scenery (the hills weren't covered in houses) and I had plenty of time to enjoy the scenery - I was stuck in a traffic jam and what should've been a one-hour journey took 2½.

if that part of England wasn't overcrowded on that day, why did the journey take so long? - Are the roads inadequate for the amount of traffic they have to carry? (The people who live on them seem to think so!)

Travelling around England is often slow. The roads are overloaded.

If England isn't overcrowded, why are the roads (which used to be quite adequate) so overloaded?

Whether the UK as a whole is overcrowded is another question. There is no doubt that the UK can't feed its present population and it appears that it can't provide jobs for them, either.

How should one define 'overcrowded'?

If you were a dairy farmer, would you consider a field to be overcrowded when the cattle were standing shoulder to shoulder and there was no room for additional cattle, or would the field be overcrowded when there were more cattle in it than could be fed, or would it be overcrowded when - although they didn't have to stand shoulder to shoulder - the number of cattle in the field was so great that the animals were distressed?

I'm against battery farming - but it happens.

Are we (or the people running the UK) going to build batteries for the increasing number of people who live there?

If there is room in he UK for 'people stalls' and the people can be kept fed and their beaks clipped (so that they don't fight amongst each other because they don't have enough room to enjoy a reasonable standard of living) will that be OK?

Anyone who thinks immigrants are the sole cause of Britain's problems should visit places like Middlesbrough or Margate or quite a few parts of Sheffield in fact. Virtually everyone's white, but it's far from Utopian. These places wouldn't survive without the immigrants & children of immigrants in urban areas subsiding them through their taxes.

Taxes ? just think how much more they would contribute if the illegal ferrying of untaxed money out of the country could be stopped...why do you think they like to go self employed..I.e taxi drivers ,take away owners, shop owners etc

Taxes ? just think how much more they would contribute if the illegal ferrying of untaxed money out of the country could be stopped...why do you think they like to go self employed..I.e taxi drivers ,take away owners, shop owners etc

because it's an easy way to make a living without an education or breaking sweat.

Archived