Britain is Full and over crowding?

You're ignoring all the money that'll have to be found for the health care and social care of he elderly. Raising the retirement age is a small step but not one that'll solve the problem. Also were is the money going to come from to employ the young people?

And, surely unemployment is a reflection of there being a lack of jobs?

No I'm not I'm diverting money from unemployment and getting people working longer.

I have no idea how your idea of increasing the population and unemployment rates will help anyone, all it will do is divert even more resources’ away from the elderly to fund unemployment.

The lack of jobs has more to do with the financial crisis than anything else. It will pass and unemployment will drop. The problem of the aging society will not go away, it will get a lot worse unless we over come our low birthrate.

Here's some links:

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/key-issues-for-the-new-parliament/value-for-money-in-public-services/the-ageing-population/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4045261.stm

http://www.21stcenturychallenges.org/focus/britains-greying-population/

But it has been high for decades and has been increasing for years, when have we ever had unemployment in the thousands instead of millions.

But it has been high for decades and has been increasing for years, when have we ever had unemployment in the thousands instead of millions.

You know what we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think that the ageing population is one of the critical challenges we're facing, you don't.

You know what we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think that the ageing population is one of the critical challenges we're facing, you don't.

I’ve explained why I don't but you haven't explained why you do, all you think is that more unemployed people will somehow solve the problem without creating additional problems.

Also the argument about 'the NHS runs on immigrants'. Well yes because it's a lot cheaper to bring in someone who has had their education funded in India than go to the expensive of training and educating to a high standard someone who already lives in this country.

You answer your own question, the costs of providing the infrastructure (buildings, staff, accommodation, ancillary services etc) for new medical schools and universities is not something the public would tolerate through increased taxation, nor would the students if they had to pay the full, rather than subsidised fees-ergo, it's easier and more cost effective to employ immigrant labour.

I’ve explained why I don't but you haven't explained why you do, all you think is that more unemployed people will somehow solve the problem without creating additional problems.

You see, I'm not going to defend a position that you've made up yourself.

I do believe that the problems of an aging society are pretty self explanatory. I also believe that the cause of the problem are also self explanatory. Such as:

1. Rising longevity – people are living longer thanks to improvements in health, diet and preventative health care. During the 20th century the average life expectancy in Britain increased by 30 years.
  2. Lower/declining birth rates – over the last 40 years women have been having fewer children, however in the last decade birth rates have risen slightly. Women in UK are currently having 1.9 children, the highest figure since 1973, but far lower than 2.93 in 1964.

For me the debate on this issue really centres on how we're going to approach the problem, not if the problem exists. I can live with you not believing that the aging society will be a major challenge.

Even though the birthrate has gone up over the last 10 years it's nowhere near the levels needed. But this is only half the problem as we're living longer and longer, costing more and more money on heath and social care.

The penny will drop on this particular argument when the people arguing against it are confined to hospital beds in their dotage with food, treatment and bed baths having to be provided by their own family because the imbalance of workers to elderly will be too great to properly serve the system either fiscally or through manpower.

A good rule for entering into an argument is to do so armed with some facts and figures. Especially if you make such a confrontational post.

The NHS is clearly under strain, but that is as much to do with the ever expanding range of medical treatments as to the increase in population. Demand for medical services will always outstrip supply. I reject your assertion.

Middle of summer. Reservoir levels 98%. Hardly overstretched. I reject your assertion.

The entire world is struggling with this. People need energy wherever they live. There is a finite amount. I reject your assertion.

Nope. Sorry. We import roughly 40% of our food. You could have checked this quite easily, instead of making stuff up. Ho hum.

Do I win a prize?

If your going to pat yourself on the back then its down to you to get yourself a badge I'm afraid.

I reject your conclusion that I was asserting anything. I merely asked for an opinion to go along with the pre emptive strike, and gave a few pointer to help the poster along. :)

But your wrong in saying that my list is exempt from a conversation about over population, the two things are hand in hand.

Oh I missed out the over stretched schools...

You see, I'm not going to defend a position that you've made up yourself.

I do believe that the problems of an aging society are pretty self explanatory. I also believe that the cause of the problem are also self explanatory. Such as:

For me the debate on this issue really centres on how we're going to approach the problem, not if the problem exists. I can live with you not believing that the aging society will be a major challenge.

The point is that the aging population isn't a problem, its only becomes a problem when we expect to continue retiring at the young age of 65 and when we have millions of unemployed sucking up resources, increasing the population and increasing unemployment won't solve a problem that doesn't exist, all it will do is create a problem. People are living longer and should work longer.

The penny will drop on this particular argument when the people arguing against it are confined to hospital beds in their dotage with food, treatment and bed baths having to be provided by their own family because the imbalance of workers to elderly will be too great to properly serve the system either fiscally or through manpower.

I'm not that selfish that I would expect anyone to do that, when I can't care for myself it’s time to die.

Archived