RBS/National Westminster Banks' technical problems- June 2012

im sure lessons will be learned.

like i said mistakes happen. Its how you deal with them. I can only go on what ive seen with my own eyes. and that was my local RBS branch closed.

and not one branch in sheffield answering their phones. a list of open branches would have been nice. thats why i was phoning them all to see which were open but to no avail.

I read somewhere yesterday, can't remember where now, it said most branches would be opening Saturday, and the normal Saturday opening branches (such as High Street) would be opening on Sunday too.

And they did also say somewhere yesterday that the 'emergency money' system or whatever they call it, where you can ring up and gain access toy your money, usually when you've lost your card, would be available for customers to get their money - Not sure if this would be only for lost card problems?

Not yet no.

But whose to say next month it might be HSBC's turn or Barclays.

For god sake. Its just one of those things. A nightmare yes but get over it.

God forbid something tragic happened like a mass flood again or a bomb in the city centre data centre, stock, supplies, data files and paper records would be destroyed in every business in the affected area. That would mean months and months of inconvenience and alternative actions. It would mean you would have to travel to an alternative supplier, travel to an alternative branch, revert back to paper records, have a limited computer and phone system working, have limited access to customer data, have limited power to work with, have staff scattered about trying to work from alternative areas. All this takes time and causes disruption.

Do you know how you can prevent it........ YOU CANT.

You just have to get over it.

Sorry you have been inconvenienced. Sorry you have been without for a few days. So what? So has everyone else.

Which is why we come on a public forum to makes threads and have a little winge. Its what they are for right?

you could say the same about every post on here.

just because there is a chance of mass flooding, bombings etc doesnt mean people cant be a little peed off with minor things.

No im not affected. But I worked for a legal office that was wiped out by the 2007 floods. We had one phone line out of 60 working and 3 computers in the whole building unnetworked.

I had to spend 3 months whilst we got back on our feet having customers abuse and theaten myself and my staff in person and over the phone becuase we couldn't access their files instantly despite the fact they were stood in our mud splattered offices with the 5ft waterline mark still showing on the wall.

I was there dealing with the mess finding alternative methods of getting things done. Finding appropraite ways of progressing client matters with limited resources. Working all hours to try to get things moving.

and all the while receiving nothing but abuse and rantings from customers about how much THEY were inconvenienced.

After hearing that through my career. I know from experience that things like this happen and there is no point ranting and raving. You find a solution. If that solution is that you have to get up early and drive to a different area to get some money then so be it.

Its about making adjustments to sort out the problem.

[/b]

Which is why we come on a public forum to makes threads and have a little winge. Its what they are for right?

you could say the same about every post on here.

just because there is a chance of mass flooding, bombings etc doesnt mean people cant be a little peed off with minor things.

Its not about being peed off it was more the assumption that ditching them and going to another banking group would make a blind bit of difference.

You gave the impression that if you went to say, HSBC this would not happen.

Im trying to point out that in these circumstances you are wrong. RBS/Natwest have not caused this. RBS/Natwest have not acted inappropraitely or slowly when trying to deal with the issue.

I therefore dont see why you should feel ditching them would make you feel better.

No im not affected. But I worked for a legal office that was wiped out by the 2007 floods. We had one phone line out of 60 working and 3 computers in the whole building unnetworked.

I had to spend 3 months whilst we got back on our feet having customers abuse and theaten myself and my staff in person and over the phone becuase we couldn't access their files instantly despite the fact they were stood in our mud splattered offices with the 5ft waterline mark still showing on the wall.

I was there dealing with the mess finding alternative methods of getting things done. Finding appropraite ways of progressing client matters with limited resources. Working all hours to try to get things moving.

and all the while receiving nothing but abuse and rantings from customers about how much THEY were inconvenienced.

After hearing that through my career. I know from experience that things like this happen and there is no point ranting and raving. You find a solution. If that solution is that you have to get up early and drive to a different area to get some money then so be it.

Its about making adjustments to sort out the problem.

That really is a shame and wouldnt wish it anyone, nor is abuse acceptable.

but like i said just because bad things happen, and there are always people worse off it doesnt mean people arent going to winge and moan when they are inconvinienced. Just not how the world is.

Petrol was a problem driving it to town. my girlfriend is pregnant due on wednesday so wasnt leaving her. To be honest getting access to money wasnt my main problem. I just wanted to make sure my rent would be paid and i would incur late payment charges (i know they say no one will be out of pocket, but it has been know for people to lie)

I can quite easily borrow money for food etc but not everyone is in the same boat. yes it might be very minor to you but paying my rent is a priority.

i get the impression that you seem to think its just about getting a few quid out the cash machine? go online there are people being really affected by this.

one such is a man stuck abroad because he cant check out of his hotel until his card is working again.

there are people in this country who live on the bare minum and rely on their wages etc go in as they have been skint and struggling the past week.

Surely you can understand people frustration with the banks? when customers get charged rediculous amounts of money for going slightly overdrawn etc.

I feel really sorry for Nat West & RBS customers who have been greatly inconvenienced by all of this I only hope that customers and small businesses can cope with the mess, I can't help but think that it may have been avoided if they hadn't sacked 1800 highly trained UK staff the last having left a few weeks ago and outsourced the work to India.

I feel really sorry for Nat West & RBS customers who have been greatly inconvenienced by all of this I only hope that customers and small businesses can cope with the mess, I can't help but think that it may have been avoided if they hadn't sacked 1800 highly trained UK staff the last having left a few weeks ago and outsourced the work to India.

yeah lets blame india, rather than the management that decided to install new software and screwed it all up

Archived