RBS/National Westminster Banks' technical problems- June 2012

Its the branches that are normally open on Saturdays that are open today, Sheffield High Street being one of them (not sure if its the only one)

I paid £500 to a Natwest customer on Thursday (Rent) which they have not received. My bank tell me it has been paid, but all payments are 'floating around' somewhere in Natwests systems. If they don't 'claim' payments and pay them into the correct accounts within the next 3 or 4 days though, they might have to return them, but it should be sorted by then.

Maybe they were open but they were certainly were not answering their phones.

i should have had money go in friday (which was going to cover my rent which should come out monday 25th)

however when i logged into online banking on saturday my money had not gone in...then when i checked later on the same day which was saturday my rent had already gone out(even dated 25th on the online statement).

now my account just states minus £300

wouldnt mind but ive had a standing order go out before but was £2 short. as soon as i realised i went and put the money in...however RBS still decided to hit me with a £35 the following month despite me asking nicely if they could wave it (first ever time ive gone over)

even if RBS were helping people at the moment which they dont seem to be...its only cos theyve stuffed up...they dont help out any other time.

i for one will probably be moving to another bank.

yes i know this was a technical glitch and as people have said its just one of those things, but hasnt happened to any of the others has it.

They tried to update their computers with a new system, and ended up corrupting the files, so it was a huge failure on their part. You will not be left out of pocket with any charges etc, they will be sorting that, they are legally obliged to do so.

i wish people would stop saying nip to local branch. RBS at ecclesfield was not open at all yesterday. not at any time during the morning or afternoon. and not any branch in sheffield were answering their phones.

So what good is nipping to a branch going to do if they are not open.

or am i suppose to drive to another branch on the hope they are open and just couldnt be bothered to answer the phone?

please advise

YES if you needed your money so desprately. Perhaps try a branch that is most likely going to be open at the weekend say Meadowhall or a central branch rather than a small out of town one.

Maybe try and go online and check to see which branches are open. I am assuming that you have access to a computer since you are posting on here.

Maybe keep pursuing the phone lines. After all its bloody obvious that the lines will be busy as every customer in the country will be most likely trying to sort out the same issues.

As I said before you put the effort in.

What did you expect, a call to be answered in 2 seconds and every single little tiny branch to be staffed and opened.

Its a unexpected crisis. By its very nature it means that you sometimes have to be inconvenienced and put some extra effort in.

i've added in bold the word you missed

im sure lessons will be learned.

like i said mistakes happen. Its how you deal with them. I can only go on what ive seen with my own eyes. and that was my local RBS branch closed.

and not one branch in sheffield answering their phones. a list of open branches would have been nice. thats why i was phoning them all to see which were open but to no avail.

Maybe they were open but they were certainly were not answering their phones.

i should have had money go in friday (which was going to cover my rent which should come out monday 25th)

however when i logged into online banking on saturday my money had not gone in...then when i checked later on the same day which was saturday my rent had already gone out(even dated 25th on the online statement).

now my account just states minus £300

wouldnt mind but ive had a standing order go out before but was £2 short. as soon as i realised i went and put the money in...however RBS still decided to hit me with a £35 the following month despite me asking nicely if they could wave it (first ever time ive gone over)

even if RBS were helping people at the moment which they dont seem to be...its only cos theyve stuffed up...they dont help out any other time.

i for one will probably be moving to another bank.

yes i know this was a technical glitch and as people have said its just one of those things, but hasnt happened to any of the others has it.

Not yet no.

But whose to say next month it might be HSBC's turn or Barclays.

For god sake. Its just one of those things. A nightmare yes but get over it.

God forbid something tragic happened like a mass flood again or a bomb in the city centre data centre, stock, supplies, data files and paper records would be destroyed in every business in the affected area. That would mean months and months of inconvenience and alternative actions. It would mean you would have to travel to an alternative supplier, travel to an alternative branch, revert back to paper records, have a limited computer and phone system working, have limited access to customer data, have limited power to work with, have staff scattered about trying to work from alternative areas. All this takes time and causes disruption.

Do you know how you can prevent it........ YOU CANT.

You just have to get over it.

Sorry you have been inconvenienced. Sorry you have been without for a few days. So what? So has everyone else.

"Announcing that the bank would open 1,200 branches nationwide on Sunday morning"

They probably closed at 12 (or early afternoon) anyway

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/natwest-accounts-upheaval-continues-032223553.html

That maybe true. If staff are working overtime and are due on shift tomorrow throughout the week they can only work so many hours.

If I was really desprate to get hold of my money in a unexpected situation like this I would have been waiting outside at 9.30am with my bankcard in hand.

YES if you needed your money so desprately. Perhaps try a branch that is most likely going to be open at the weekend say Meadowhall or a central branch rather than a small out of town one.

Maybe try and go online and check to see which branches are open. I am assuming that you have access to a computer since you are posting on here.

Maybe keep pursuing the phone lines. After all its bloody obvious that the lines will be busy as every customer in the country will be most likely trying to sort out the same issues.

As I said before you put the effort in.

What did you expect, a call to be answered in 2 seconds and every single little tiny branch to be staffed and opened.

Its a unexpected crisis. By its very nature it means that you sometimes have to be inconvenienced and put some extra effort in.

I understand what you are saying, honestly i do. But as i stated before ive had unexpected crisis of my own like when i was a little overdrawn. but didnt stop them charging me £35 did it. and yes when money is tight losing £35 is somewhat of a crisis.

oh and by the way meadowhall did not answer and no it wasnt a 2 sec call.

Just one more thing i notice its all the people whos banks werent affected who are telling everyone to stop complaing.

oh wait im wrong,your going to tell me you are one of the affected customers right?

thought you might have been.

Archived