Are modern stereo mixes in films and cd as good today as older stuff?

I don't know if it's my imagination or what, but I've noticed that DVD's on latest and modern films are pretty dire! I've got a 5.1 surround system, and it might as well not be there, as the mix of sound these days is almost non-existent. I was beginning to think that it was my system that was at fault, but I've tested it with the built in 'sound test' routine, and all the speakers are wired correctly and work fine.

If I put an older film in, I get great sound effects, but anything new, and it's just hopeless, especially through the rear speakers, which once upon a time (as is supposed to happen) used to make you jump, or marvel at the sound mix.

It's the same with music CD's too (and radio). Sometimes I listen to an old song being played on the radio and you can actually hear the separate sounds coming from left to right etc.....anything new, and the sound comes from all the speakers the same.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomena, or is it just me being perdantic?

I hate that orchestral rubbish the put in modern movies especially the batman films. Give me the stype of music played in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Memphis Belle and such anyday

I agree...But the 'mix' nowadays is absoulutely pathetic.....Like they can't be bothered! We all spend a lot of money on our home entertainments gadgets, and they can't even be bother to exploit those capabilities.

Archived