Queen to shake hands with Sinn Fein Leader.

Please read the history about Northern Ireland and you will realise the Protestant movement controlled all the this area treating catholics as we treat immegrants now. The police force was Protestant, if you was a catholic you were bottom of the pile.

No excuse for what the IRA did but this Monarchy have a lot to anwer for.

We Brits were horrible people.

Let's give Northen Ireland back to the people it belongs to.

Here we go another expert historian apologist, who is we ? And how exactly do we treat immigrants now ? We Brits were horrible people and this monarchy has a lot to answer for :huh: What a load of tripe Lexikia, if you don't mind me saying.

I agree I think its admirable that gestures are being made to help continue the improving relations between England and Ireland,and i don't really think the Queen will feel bitter about what happened to Earl Mountbatten.

You can understand how some of those who have lost loved ones in the confict may feel though.

I'm glad at least one person knew what I was on about. I do think it highlights the queens sense of duty. But alot has changed over the years. One image I remember realitivly recently was mcguinness and Paisley giggling over something like a couple of schoolboys. 40 years ago the only thing that would have made them smile is killing the other one.

Please read the history about Northern Ireland and you will realise the Protestant movement controlled all the this area treating catholics as we treat immegrants now. The police force was Protestant, if you was a catholic you were bottom of the pile.

No excuse for what the IRA did but this Monarchy have a lot to anwer for.

We Brits were horrible people.

Let's give Northen Ireland back to the people it belongs to.

Some truth in that statement. My grandfather was an Ulster catholic. You were bottom of the list if Harland and Wolf's ship building yard was hiring.

The Ulster prods always made it a habit to parade through the catholic neighbourhoods to commerorate the battle of the Boyne... rubbing their noses in it.

I think it's an excellent step forward, it shows that mainstream republicanism is now firmly within the realms of peaceful democratic political process, it demonstrates that a democratic process is accommodating to those views, and a recognition by both that times have moved on.

I can understand how victims would not welcome it, if I were a victim or bereaved I'd probably not like it.

Some truth in that statement. My grandfather was an Ulster catholic. You were bottom of the list if Harland and Wolf's ship building yard was hiring.

The Ulster prods always made it a habit to parade through the catholic neighbourhoods to commerorate the battle of the Boyne... rubbing their noses in it.

They still have the battle of the Boyne parade every year,but i think they have to be kept away from the Catholic area though.

I think it's an excellent step forward, it shows that mainstream republicanism is now firmly within the realms of peaceful democratic political process, it demonstrates that a democratic process is accommodating to those views, and a recognition by both that times have moved on.

I can understand how victims would not welcome it, if I were a victim or bereaved I'd probably not like it.

It takes a brave first step. John Major and Peter Brooke risked hatred and condemnation from all sides for taking that first step. If they have never done anything else in their lives they should be applauded for bringing peace to NI.

They still have the battle of the Boyne parade every year,but i think they have to be kept away from the Catholic area though.

I bet it's still a dodgy place. Going on a pub crawl in Belfast might be like stepping through a minefield. If there's a Union Jack Flag and a picture of the Queen behind the bar a few derogatory remarks about the Pope might be in order

If it's the Irish Republic flag then a rousing rendition of "Off to Dublin in the Green" might get you a drink on the house

It's always about religion and history with those people

:hihi:

Thats not the fault of this Monarchy though is it,and wrong political decisions are not the fault of we Brits.We have to move on from the past and leave history in the books to learn from.

Thankfully the majority if Irish have realised that,and the people in the South don't appear to want Northern Ireland back either.

My family in the South think they are all actually mental in the north and are quite content to leave them to it with devolution.

Besides, people in both ends of the country have realised they are better off financially when there is peace so want to keep it that way.

Archived