Queen to shake hands with Sinn Fein Leader.

I bet it's still a dodgy place. Going on a pub crawl in Belfast might be like stepping through a minefield. If there's a Union Jack Flag and a picture of the Queen behind the bar a few derogatory remarks about the Pope might be in order

If it's the Irish Republic flag then a rousing rendition of "Off to Dublin in the Green" might get you a drink on the house

It's always about religion and history with those people

:hihi:

A bit like the USA then. :hihi:

Some truth in that statement. My grandfather was an Ulster catholic. You were bottom of the list if Harland and Wolf's ship building yard was hiring.

The Ulster prods always made it a habit to parade through the catholic neighbourhoods to commerorate the battle of the Boyne... rubbing their noses in it.

They still have the battle of the Boyne parade every year,but i think they have to be kept away from the Catholic area though.

dunno if its the same thing but they still have the orange parades, that go through the catholic areas and theres normally trouble, theink they do it still just to spark things off

That depends on how you move the boundaries.

The majority of Sheffielders want to ruled by Labour...doesn't make it so.

I''d speculate that only the province, and parts of Glasgow would only really care about the future. The rest of the UK and Ireland would welcome any lasting agreement between the two sides.

My family in the South think they are all actually mental in the north and are quite content to leave them to it with devolution.

Besides, people in both ends of the country have realised they are better off financially when there is peace so want to keep it that way.

My cousin's in the South West,don't mention Northern Ireland to me,and they like the Queen.Maybe they are just being tactful in my company.:hihi:

My cousin's in the South West,don't mention Northern Ireland to me,and they like the Queen.Maybe they are just being tactful in my company.:hihi:

My in-laws are from the South West. They are rabid republicans but my mother in law LOVED the Queen. When Charles and Di got married they were on holiday in South Armagh and had to draw all the curtains and watch the wedding all hidden away. All the kids were told 'For God's sake lads, don't tell a soul what we've been watching'. Ha, ha. She was a rabid republican too and worked for Sinn Fein for a while. Loved the Queen though, mad.

My old dad was a member of the British Legion for years after the war. On one occasion several old veterans of the German Africa Korps came over as guests. The old warriors drank beer together and reminisced about their days in the desert when only killing each other was what mattered.

like I said earlier "Yesterdays enemies... todays friends"

Archived