Queen to shake hands with Sinn Fein Leader.

Walking along Fifth Avenue, New York, all dressed in orange during the St. Patrick's Day Parade might get you a bit of unwelcome attention :hihi:
I bet there are few Orange parade's going off in somewhere in the US in July,or are they only held in parts of Canada.

My in-laws are from the South West. They are rabid republicans but my mother in law LOVED the Queen. When Charles and Di got married they were on holiday in South Armagh and had to draw all the curtains and watch the wedding all hidden away. All the kids were told 'For God's sake lads, don't tell a soul what we've been watching'. Ha, ha. She was a rabid republican too and worked for Sinn Fein for a while. Loved the Queen though, mad.

I've got Protestant,Catholic and and a bunch of atheists among my relatives,no wonder i'm a mass of contradictions!! :|

McGuinness and a Windsor shaking hands, murderer gets the Royal seal of approval. I feel all cosy inside.

Our prisons are full of men and women who have committed crimes that don't even scratch at the level of violence he was involved in..let's give them a handshake eh.

Games, games and more games.

I have wandered down the Falls Road and seen pictures of the 'divides', the huge concrete walls between catholic and protestant areas. I have been in a beautiful ornately carved pub that was destroyed and recreated to perfection seven times which is opposite the most bombed hotel in Europe.

This has to be better than what was but I wonder what 'negotiations' have gone on to drive this forward. I was reading the other day on the BBc web site about parents taking their children to be shot by appointment by the paramilitary thugs that still seem to rule in several areas.

I have wandered down the Falls Road and seen pictures of the 'divides', the huge concrete walls between catholic and protestant areas. I have been in a beautiful ornately carved pub that was destroyed and recreated to perfection seven times which is opposite the most bombed hotel in Europe.

This has to be better than what was but I wonder what 'negotiations' have gone on to drive this forward. I was reading the other day on the BBc web site about parents taking their children to be shot by appointment by the paramilitary thugs that still seem to rule in several areas.

Perhaps its going to take a lot of time before fear and suspicion on either side cease to be a problem. :sad:

It was speculated that this "handshake" was put in place is due to how badly Sinn Féin's reaction went down to the Queen's well received visit to Ireland.

She surprised many by addressing the Irish President in Irish. Also it was judged that many people took her offer of deep sympathy to everyone who has suffered in centuries of conflict between Britain and Ireland as a sincere gesture.

I bet there are few Orange parade's going off in somewhere in the US in July,or are they only held in parts of Canada.

I've got Protestant,Catholic and and a bunch of atheists among my relatives,no wonder i'm a mass of contradictions!! :|

Bit like me. A grand uncle who was in the IRA and two uncles who joined the RAF and fought for England in WW2

Archived