Wierd conversation at the petrol station

It was very unpleasant though wasn't it?

No. I dont think it was.

The lad who seemed offended by being called a pakistani walked away to his car and the man behind the counter had a stupid grin on his face from ear to ear.

Thats why i said in my op that it was weird.

We don't want that kind of thing do we.

You speak for everyone do you?

Tell me, how did you get that job because id like on just like it.

And it sounds very racist to me.

Not to me it doesn't.

Horses for courses.

Oh my word!!

Keep it in perspective will you.

It's just there for comparison.

Whether the cashier was offended or not is irrelevant.

Saying you'd kill yourself if you were a **** is blatantly racist.

To be fair, you started what was a stupid and pointless thread to begin with so I don't know why you're having a go at people trying to make a decent argument.

It's just there for comparison.

Whether the cashier was offended or not is irrelevant.

Saying you'd kill yourself if you were a **** is blatantly racist.

Such mind numbing arrogance.

If i were you id complain.

Try Watchdog or Points or View.

Oh and it was a stupid pointless comparison. :)

Taking offence is relative to the individual and therefore wholly subjective. That means if someone is offended by a supposedly racist comment, how are we to know, unless we set up some kind of vast social experiment, if the majority of people within the same race as the "offendee" would be equally as offended?

I see a lot of black people laughing and applauding at the use of this obscene word. Yet the bassist in my band, who is black, abhors the word.

So who should the law cater to?

Taking offence is relative to the individual and therefore wholly subjective. That means if someone is offended by a supposedly racist comment, how are we to know, unless we set up some kind of social experiment, that the majority of people within the same race as the "offendee" would be equally as offended?

I see a lot of black people laughing and applauding at the use of this obscene word. Yet, the bassist in my band, who is black, abhors the word.

So who should the law cater to?

Chris Rock is a genius!!!

Makes me laugh like a drain.

Even when he picks on whites and gays.

The man is just a legend!!!!!

Chris Rock is a genius!!!

Makes me laugh like a drain.

Even when he picks on whites and gays.

The man is just a legend!!!!!

The man says "I hate niggas" - a spelling he uses to refer to a specific class of black people who he claims give all black people a bad name (similar to the white "chav", although more controversial because it is purposefully derived from a word that has racist connotations).

Context is key, and because it clearly is too complex to create a broad brushed law (even if there have been naive attempts), we ought to focus more on the actual harm, the infringement to individual liberty caused by racially motivated incidents, not some abstract and subjective notion of offence.

No. I dont think it was.

The lad who seemed offended by being called a pakistani walked away to his car and the man behind the counter had a stupid grin on his face from ear to ear.

Thats why i said in my op that it was weird.

You speak for everyone do you?

Tell me, how did you get that job because id like on just like it.

Not to me it doesn't.

Horses for courses.

How did I get what job?

I couldnt sleep well last night so thought id take doggie for a walk to the petrol station and get a paper. At the window there was a young lad being served and he was having a conversation with the assistant when he (the customer) said "no WAY, id ****ing kill myself if i were. Im an Arab, Not a pakkie"He then went on to say "there is a difference you know" then walked off in a huff to his car.

When it was my turn to be served the assistant looked at me and simply said with a glum look on his face.

"I thought he was Pakistani"

Im not sure exactly what was said between the two before me but i didnt half feel sorry for the lad behind the counter. His English was shocking and i think he just wanted to make a new friend.

Poor bloke but what a funny exchange. I was giggling to myself most of the way home.

He didnt racially abuse anyone.????

Didnt you read my op?

My Bold=

The word **** is used as a racist slur and saying you would kill yourself if you were one is highly offensive.

If I were to say that i would kill myself if I ever turned gay would you not find that offensive and homophobic?

Archived