Wierd conversation at the petrol station

I don't think any of the protoganists in the OP were lamenting being called **** or anything else.

You don't remember the 70's & 80's and the shaven headed morons who used to terrorise the streets in search of 'Pakis' to beat up? Believe me, that was very far from a "joke".

The word has rather grievous associations for some Pakistanis so I don't think it's for you or me to dictate to them how they choose to be referred to or how they choose to react to it. Some indeed might not be bothered some may.

Just as some black folks call each other n***** if one ever did so to me, he'd find his nose displaced to the rear of his head.

Over exagerrated..yes I do and I also remember Pakistanis in certain areas looking for whites to kick the hell out of in fact its still happening in places now ,granted not so much pakistanis these days ,although they do "play " now and then,but the Eastern Europeans are now flexing their muscles in the same areas.

I don't think any of the protoganists in the OP were lamenting being called **** or anything else.

You don't remember the 70's & 80's and the shaven headed morons who used to terrorise the streets in search of 'Pakis' to beat up? Believe me, that was very far from a "joke".

The word has rather grievous associations for some Pakistanis so I don't think it's for you or me to dictate to them how they choose to be referred to or how they choose to react to it. Some indeed might not be bothered some may.

Just as some black folks call each other n***** if one ever did so to me, he'd find his nose displaced to the rear of his head.

Maybe not but the usual suspects have jumped in,as always,with their condemnation.

Over exagerrated..yes I do and I also remember Pakistanis in certain areas looking for whites to kick the hell out of in fact its still happening in places now ,granted not so much pakistanis these days ,although they do "play " now and then,but the Eastern Europeans are now flexing their muscles in the same areas.

So if Pakistanis had a word they used to describe the whites they 'kicked the hell out of', you might not be well disposed to one referring to you in that way now, that's the only point I'm making.

I know in the US, some blacks refer to whites malevolently as 'crackers', personally I would never refer to white people that way because I know the meaning of the word is intended to be offensive, even if some whites chose to describe themselves as such.

Maybe not but the usual suspects have jumped in,as always,with their condemnation.

Personally I don't think this incident is racist or worthy of police intervention or anyone else's for that matter but a few people chewing ears on here about it is hardly something to get worked up about is it GR?

just been thinking and id like to hear peoples opinions on it,

right, 'brit' is short for british, right? so is '****' just short for pakistani? is that so bad?

i understand that '****' get used as a offensive term but should it really be used as a insult and not just an abbreviation? im not saying im right im just wanting to hear peoples views on it?

just been thinking and id like to hear peoples opinions on it,

right, 'brit' is short for british, right? so is '****' just short for pakistani? is that so bad?

i understand that '****' get used as a offensive term but should it really be used as a insult and not just an abbreviation? im not saying im right im just wanting to hear peoples views on it?

Yup it's just an abbreviation. It's not like the N word as it doesn't really have any slave connotations. The Pakistani cricket team did a bus tour wearing shirts that had "proud to be a ****" on them. It's really no more or less offensive that calling someone Pakistani. Which would also be racist if you were pointing out differences or faults.

**** means pure or clean and stan means state.

Wikipedia :

Rahmat Ali later expanded upon this in his 1947 book Pakistan: the Fatherland of the Pak Nation. In that book he explains the acronym as follows: P=Punjab, A=Afghania, K=Kashmir, I=Indus Valley, S=Sindh, T=Turkharistan (roughly the modern central-Asian states), A=Afghanistan and N=BalochistaN. The Persian word پاک pāk, which means "pure", adds another shade of meaning, with the full name thus meaning "land of the pure".

So maybe it's just another excuse for the "chip on shoulder" an "PC" brigades to get worked up about nothing.

Yup it's just an abbreviation. It's not like the N word as it doesn't really have any slave connotations. The Pakistani cricket team did a bus tour wearing shirts that had "proud to be a ****" on them. It's really no more or less offensive that calling someone Pakistani. Which would also be racist if you were pointing out differences or faults.

**** means pure or clean and stan means state.

Wikipedia :

Rahmat Ali later expanded upon this in his 1947 book Pakistan: the Fatherland of the Pak Nation. In that book he explains the acronym as follows: P=Punjab, A=Afghania, K=Kashmir, I=Indus Valley, S=Sindh, T=Turkharistan (roughly the modern central-Asian states), A=Afghanistan and N=BalochistaN. The Persian word پاک pāk, which means "pure", adds another shade of meaning, with the full name thus meaning "land of the pure".

So maybe it's just another excuse for the "chip on shoulder" an "PC" brigades to get worked up about nothing.

well i think the term 'racist/racism' get thrown about a lot these days,

say someone called me a 'white *******', the word 'white' isnt the insult, its a fact, i am white, the offensive thing is the word after.

say someone called me a 'white *******', the word 'white' isnt the insult, its a fact, i am white, the offensive thing is the word after.

Yes but the fact they pointed it out means they don't meet modern society's ideal of political correctness.

Unfortunately it's all just human nature.

A young (black) relative of mine recently complained that there was a 'sea of white faces' in a nightclub she was in largely frequented by blacks. It's about context and the use of language appropriate to that context-she got my boot up her arse as well.

A young (black) relative of mine recently complained that there was a 'sea of white faces' in a nightclub she was in largely frequented by blacks. It's about context and the use of language appropriate to that context-she got my boot up her arse as well.

Even if there were no white folks around to hear or be offended by it?

Seems odd.

Also, violence towards women? Far better than verbal bigotry :huh:. Is that a common occurrence?

Archived