Cleaning a Wedding Dress

My sister got married recently and has asked me to get her dress dry cleaned. The train in particular is pretty filthy - it was a fantastic day but much of it was outside and it was a bit muddy!

Will dry cleaning get all the dirt out, or would it be best to hand wash the train gently in biological washing powder or something first?

Advice welcome and thanks in advance!

Check the label, it might say Do not dry clean. I made the mistake with my wedding dress and sent it off to the dry cleaners without thinking about it, buttons and pearls were missing all over my dress!

Thanks for the warning!

I've just checked and it says 'dry clean only' and 'do not wash'.

So my next question is, how much is it likely to cost to get it dry cleaned and will it get all the dirt out?

(Sorry that was 2 questions!)

I was quoted £100 to dry clean mine - Apparently, it goes on the value of the dress?

I haven't had mine cleaned yet though. Just a word of advice, if shes planning on cleaning it to sell it, its not economical, as they rarely sell for enough second hand to be worth it! :(

• 3 weeks later...

Archived