Conservatives discuss whether to remove housing benefit from under 25s

Popping the housing bubble is they key to sorting this out. Your point about right to buy is wrong though. Ex-council houses are massively overpriced when they do come up for sales and lots of them are rented out at prices beyond what a social housing property should cost. There is also a shortage.

The ex council houses were affordable untill labour got into office, they encourage the property bubble, they increased the population, they didn't build enough houses for the increase in population, and they encouraged buy to let.

Selling the council houses did give people the opportunity to own an affordable house, they continued to be affordable untill labour got power and their sale didn't contribute to unaffordable housing, but under labour I agree they have been used for buy to let and Housing Benefits have gone into the pockets of the landlords, all Labour. They turned their backs on first time buyers and allowed people that already owned houses to make money out of people that didn’t.

The ex council houses were affordable untill labour got into office, they encourage the property bubble, they increased the population, they didn't build enough houses for the increase in population, and they encouraged buy to let.

Selling the council houses did give people the opportunity to own an affordable house, they continued to be affordable untill labour got power and their sale didn't contribute to unaffordable housing, but under labour I agree they have been used for buy to let and Housing Benefits have gone into the pockets of the landlords, all Labour. They turned their backs on first time buyers and allowed people that already owned houses to make money out of people that didn’t.

I agree the housing bubble should never have happened. I've always supported Labour until recently and what happened with housing on their watch is my greatest disappointment.

But look carefully and you will see few Tory attempts to deflate the bubble. Given our current economic state the price levels defy all logic. Any party that acts to bring prices down an increase supply will get my 100% support. I'm not partisan about this.

I agree the housing bubble should never have happened. I've always supported Labour until recently and what happened with housing on their watch is my greatest disappointment.

But look carefully and you will see few Tory attempts to deflate the bubble. Given our current economic state the price levels defy all logic. Any party that acts to bring prices down an increase supply will get my 100% support. I'm not partisan about this.

Deflating will hurt to many people paticuley the low paid young people that entered the property market after 2005, they apeard to be letting the air out very slowly and will probley see no houseing grouth for a decade to alwow wages to catch up to house prices.

They wouldn't be supported by people that would end up in negative equity.

Nice post. The fundamental reason why HB has got out of control is a shortage of affordable housing to rent/buy, and artifically high prices. What we are seeing now is the reult of various policies from right and left over the last 30 years.

The blame for this clearly cannot be fairly lumped onto one group of society or another.

No doubt a lot of these people wanting to target the under-25s are a part of the problem. They want the high house prices but are too short-sighted to see that with a housing market operating more efficiently and priced more fairly the issue would be reduced, and their own hard-working children could enjoy the reward of their own home.

The defence of these latest ad-hoc policy proposals is just as haphazard as the policies themselves.

It's the under 25's who've caused all the trouble! They need to be punished so we can still afford tax cuts for the rich & powerful.

More realistically they're trying to start a class war.

The rules of supply and demand would say that if the country had an over abundance of affordable housing then house prices would drop, catastrophically.

Any government, left or right has to strike a balance: enough houses to go around, but just enough so people have to fight over them to keep prices high.

Would you still support a mass house building programme if it meant that your house could lose up to 50% of its value?

It's interesting to note that the population of the UK is rising by 0.7% per year, yet the rise in the numbers of dwellings is only 0.5%

....It's interesting to note that the population of the UK is rising by 0.7% per year, yet the rise in the numbers of dwellings is only 0.5%

......that's because Labour have admitted they got the immigration policy wrong!

The rules of supply and demand would say that if the country had an over abundance of affordable housing then house prices would drop, catastrophically.

Any government, left or right has to strike a balance: enough houses to go around, but just enough so people have to fight over them to keep prices high.

Would you still support a mass house building programme if it meant that your house could lose up to 50% of its value?

House prices will not fall catastrophically until supply outstrips demand and the cost of construction exceeds the selling price. That's not going to happen in my lifetime. I own 100% of my house so I can afford a fall in prices and would welcome it to help my kids get a home of their own. The housing shortage is man made by politicians and planners who force up the cost of new housing to uneconomic levels by their bureaucratic rules and regulations. The only people who can afford to buy property these days are landlord businesses. THAT is your real underlying problem.

Archived