Why do people feel bitter and resentful?

What usually happens, is not in dispute. The question is, what purpose does it serve - there must have been some evolutionary reason why we react with bitterness, but nobody's offered any suggestions yet.

Yeah, it's almost like an involuntary response, and the other poster is right, one bad experienced can colour your interactions with the rest of the world.

I certainly succumb to bitterness and feeling hard-done-by and it all seems to lead to hate; but for the life or me, my rational self cannot figure our what possible benefit I get from such emotions (it all seems bad and unpleasant experience for oneself).

I suppose one thing that helps is to focus more on what you do have that is good in your life, rather than focusing on what might have been, had such-and-such not caused things to go south.

It appears to be normal, yes; but what useful purpose does it serve? It certainly doesn't alleviate the suffering, and if anything it gets in the way of doing something about it.

I was really thinking of those who are suffering physically or emotionally when

sometimes the person isn't in a position to do anything about it.

But when bitterness and resentment becomes so ingrained in people for other reasons, then it will become self-destructive and they will probably be making life a misery for others.

Thats quite different to the occasional little harmless outburst of anger though.

What usually happens, is not in dispute. The question is, what purpose does it serve - there must have been some evolutionary reason why we react with bitterness, but nobody's offered any suggestions yet.

A tribe of Stone age men were out hunting a mammoth, but before they could kill it and eat it another tribe killed it and ate it, later that night through bitterness and resentment they killed all the members of the tribe that ate their mammoth, this resulted in their tribes continuation and the other tribe's gene’s were lost forever.:)

The purpose is to try and provoke some form of change, preferably by legal action. Unfortunately if that fails it usually resorts to violence.

A tribe of Stone age men were out hunting a mammoth, but before they could kill it and eat it another tribe killed it and ate it, later that night through bitterness and resentment they killed all the members of the tribe that ate their mammoth, this resulted in their tribes continuation and the other tribe's gene’s were lost forever.:)

Or alternatively; the offending tribe were 100 times bigger, and wiped out the smaller attacking embittered tribe when they acted on their feeling...

sounds like liverpool with the constant gang warfare trying to wipe each other out

Archived