Why do people feel bitter and resentful?

Or alternatively; the offending tribe were 100 times bigger, and wiped out the smaller attacking embittered tribe when they acted on their feeling...

But then the gene responsible for resentment and bitterness would also have been lost forever and no one would have those feeling again.:)

Perhaps these emotions are there to give us time to adjust or think about a situation instead of acting which is what an animal would do. Maybe they have simply evolved as we have because we have the ability to consider. How we act after that consideration depends on other emotions or intincts - maybe.

Maybe it is like the tribe thing. A call to action, to retaliate against those who have slighted or harmed us in some way?

I'm not sure I buy that explanation. Most of the time when I feel bitter and resentful about something, it guarantees that I'm not taking any action over it. It's just a complete waste of my time and energies, focussed inwardly instead of outwardly.

I'm not sure I buy that explanation. Most of the time when I feel bitter and resentful about something, it guarantees that I'm not taking any action over it. It's just a complete waste of my time and energies, focussed inwardly instead of outwardly.

But isn't it supposed to build up and turn to anger about how unfarly you've been treated, at which point you are more likely to take action.

But isn't it supposed to build up and turn to anger about how unfarly you've been treated, at which point you are more likely to take action.

Don't know that its supposed to make you feel angry, perhaps any anger develops into bitterness and resentment. If you can keep the anger at bay the resentment might not surface.

Don't know that its supposed to make you feel angry, perhaps any anger develops into bitterness and resentment. If you can keep the anger at bay the resentment might not surface.

Bitterness and resentment is the feeling of anger provoked by what is perceived as unfair treatment.

Archived