House Alarm - why bother?

I used to live near a house that was vacant, yet the owner insisted on arming their faulty alarm. It went off every Sunday morning without fail. And did the whole not-exceeding-20-minutes-at-a-time thing so as to avoid being a "nuisance" that the police could act on.

As the owner wasn't around, they'd never stop it going off.

And ignored all my polite written warnings.

A step ladder and a can of builder's expanding foam fixed it :-)

Q -House Alarm - why bother?

A -The number one reason is obvious – it could save you the horror of having your house broken into.

A -Many insurers offer discounts between 2% and 15% for homes with alarms fitted.

Quoted from-www.confused.com

How can it save you from that? In my experience neighbours aren't interested except to complain the next day how your house alarm woke them up (while u were getting burgled at the time). The police don't come out to house alarms. The thieving scum know both of these so house alarms don't bother them at all. As for the insurance it's usually only the extremely expensive or monitored alarms that save you anything. Maybe because like the scum they are also aware that a normal alarm is pointless.

Q -House Alarm - why bother?

A -The number one reason is obvious – it could save you the horror of having your house broken into.

A -Many insurers offer discounts between 2% and 15% for homes with alarms fitted.

Quoted from-www.confused.com

This sensible answer merits a book token and a BPB.

Poor quality, badly maintained alarms are to blame for the false alarms.

I have a good quality, NACOSS maintained alarm that only goes off when it's supposed to - which thankfully has been never.

You're more likely to have neighbours take notice when it does go off. All my neighbours know if it goes off, it's going off for good reason.

Ive got good neighbours that do come and check properties if alarms is going off !

Same here.

Even though ours calls us, theyll call us as well if its going off and just to reassure us the place is still secured (no unopened windows, doors, broken, etc) and no need to ring the police.

Archived