Disgusted with the BBC's bias.

So on the late BBC news tonight, the BBC refer to the Conservatives' plans to remove Housing Benefit for the Under 25's repeatedly as a 'Crackdown on Welfare'. You crackdown on Crime, you don't 'crackdown' on welfare. Welfare recipients are not criminals. Under 25's who have to rely on housing benefit are not criminals. The disabled and dying are not criminals. The Unemployed are not criminals. It seems like the BBC is slowly disappearing up its own hugely overpaid ass.

You can crack down on anything. I don't understand what your complaint is supposed to be.

If it's a targeted crackdown on abuse of the system that would be welcome. If they are trying to portray all under-25 recipients of the benefit as somehow abusing the system that would be out of order. And it would make them look even more out of touch at a time when opportunities for the under-25s are pretty lacking.

If it's a targeted crackdown on abuse of the system that would be welcome. If they are trying to portray all under-25 recipients of the benefit as somehow abusing the system that would be out of order. And it would make them look even more out of touch at a time when opportunities for the under-25s are pretty lacking.

I agree. There was something in the proposal about cracking down on people who refuse to look for a job properly when on JSA, eg refusing to produce a CV and that I can agree with, cracking down on people who are not looking for work and actually abusing the system.

But denying people the abilty to have a home if they are not working purely because of their age is downright wrong. You can't blanket say people are abusing the system purely because of their age and that they 'should be with their parents'. They're doing nothing wrong by claiming these benefits, the cut off age for 'should be with your parents' is the age before people are expected to work. If you are old enough to work and pay tax you're old enough to receive benefits.

I agree. There was something in the proposal about cracking down on people who refuse to look for a job properly when on JSA, eg refusing to produce a CV and that I can agree with, cracking down on people who are not looking for work and actually abusing the system.

But denying people the abilty to have a home if they are not working purely because of their age is downright wrong. You can't blanket say people are abusing the system purely because of their age and that they 'should be with their parents'. They're doing nothing wrong by claiming these benefits, the cut off age for 'should be with your parents' is the age before people are expected to work. If you are old enough to work and pay tax you're old enough to receive benefits.

Absolutely. AND if you're old enough to have kids of your own legally, and get married, surely, that should feature somewhere in the government's reasoning as regards housing benefit! Or are they going to change that too?! Maybe the Under 25's, as they tend to be the lowest paid, should then, not have to pay tax!

Archived