Advice on distributing an independent documentary

Hi,

I am a film maker from Sheffield, and have spent the last 6 months working hard on a documentary that i am just putting the finishing touches on,

it is a feature length documented, and although i cant yet disclose what the actual genre of the doc is and what the story is it covers, i can let you know its completely filmed in Sheffield, and would be something i hope the people of not only Sheffield but anyone with a remote interest in this kind of thing find interesting and entertaining,

i wanted to know if anyone has any advice, or knowledge of anyone i could speak to about getting it distributed, or anyone that buys documentaries/independent films for TV ect?

i know i have been quite vague as to what its about ect, but i have to be at the minuet, as i don't want to leak out any info of something i currently have no copyright over ect

Theo

Try Screen Yorkshire, BAFTA, UK Film Council (although that may now be part of the BFI), BFI.

Warp Films are based in Sheffield but I'm not sure if they distribute or just produce either way they will be able to point you towards companies that may help.

The best way though is to show the film at as many Documentary Film Festivals as you possibly can.

Regarding the issue of copyright, if you made the film then the copyright belongs to you. There is no need to apply for copyright. If however someone else financed it and you made it then it could be they are the copyright holders but it would all depend upon the financial arrangements between yourselves.

Good luck.

Archived