Devonshire Cat beer

jemson

as far as i know Wickett had nowt to do with Devonshire Cat? so can't imagine that's the reason.

surely negative reviews based on personal opinion are allowed, else what's the point of a forum? any comments deemed slanderous/libellous could be individually removed, rather than trashing a whole thread...

Loud music? It's hard enough to hear people in The Dev Cat as it is without there being loud music playing.

I've always liked the place, but for one reason or another I've not been in for months. I'm out in town Friday so may dip my toe in the water and see what's going on there.

as far as I know Wickett had nowt to do with Devonshire Cat? so can't imagine that's the reason.

surely negative reviews based on personal opinion are allowed, else what's the point of a forum? any comments deemed slanderous/libellous could be individually removed, rather than trashing a whole thread...

The original thread was removed pretty much immediately after Dave Wickett's death was announced so I have wondered if that had something to do with it. Beyond that you'd have to ask the mods what exactly they were up to.

I have however endeavoured to continue the original argument about sparkers from that thread. :D

When the thread was removed I received a PM saying it had been removed. I responded asking if every other thread where people had been honest but negative about local businesses would be removed. To be honest I knew that want likely as that would be most of Sheffield forum taken down! The response i got was that the forum had no choice about removing threads when there was The threat of legal action or something like that. I can only imagine the owner of the cat had complained about the thread most comments were not exactly positive.

When the thread was removed I received a PM saying it had been removed. I responded asking if every other thread where people had been honest but negative about local businesses would be removed. To be honest I knew that want likely as that would be most of Sheffield forum taken down! The response i got was that the forum had no choice about removing threads when there was The threat of legal action or something like that. I can only imagine the owner of the cat had complained about the thread most comments were not exactly positive.

Then they should stick to trying to please their customers rather than threatening local a local forum. Plenty of other local businesses have to take the criticism as well as plaudits on SF.

Back to sparklers my personal opinion is that I hate, no I actually come over with a feeling of dread when I ask for a pint and I look down and the sparkler is missing. I know that I'm going to get some completely lifeless pint or at best some overly foamy head. I think that it not only affects the taste but the whole mouth feel/texture of the pint with it being thin and flat and bland. This applies to all styles but especially with stouts that should have a nice thick creamy head not some foamy effort. I've been severed stouts in the cat without one although people have discussed on here there are sparklers but not massive ones. If I'm getting a stout in needs a full on massive sparkler that gives me a head that I can put a flake in and get it all over my top lip!

Back to sparklers my personal opinion is that I hate, no I actually come over with a feeling of dread when I ask for a pint and I look down and the sparkler is missing. I know that I'm going to get some completely lifeless pint or at best some overly foamy head. I think that it not only affects the taste but the whole mouth feel/texture of the pint with it being thin and flat and bland. This applies to all styles but especially with stouts that should have a nice thick creamy head not some foamy effort. I've been severed stouts in the cat without one although people have discussed on here there are sparklers but not massive ones. If I'm getting a stout in needs a full on massive sparkler that gives me a head that I can put a flake in and get it all over my top lip!

I agree with all of that. I was brought up on hand-pumped Tetley's and that's the way cask beer should be served in my view. We used to laugh at the pints you got served in London and the South East with the head disappearing before you'd sat down. I like to see some rings of foam down the glass like you get with Guinness as you drink it.

Most places seem to get it right though. It's only a few real ale fundamentalist pubs that insist on the silly fairy liquid heads e.g. the Gardeners and the Shalesmoor tramstop one.

As for the Devonshire Cat, I had the Dev Cat Bitter last time I was in a week or so ago and it seems to be a brown type bitter now. It tasted awful to me (not off, just not my cup of tea). I'm sure it used to be a pale yellow hoppy one. The pub seemed much the same as ever.

I agree with all of that. I was brought up on hand-pumped Tetley's and that's the way cask beer should be served in my view. We used to laugh at the pints you got served in London and the South East with the head disappearing before you'd sat down. I like to see some rings of foam down the glass like you get with Guinness as you drink it.

Most places seem to get it right though. It's only a few real ale fundamentalist pubs that insist on the silly fairy liquid heads e.g. the Gardeners and the Shalesmoor tramstop one.

As for the Devonshire Cat, I had the Dev Cat Bitter last time I was in a week or so ago and it seems to be a brown type bitter now. It tasted awful to me (not off, just not my cup of tea). I'm sure it used to be a pale yellow hoppy one. The pub seemed much the same as ever.

A thick, creamy head is fine, when served in an oversized glass. Unfortunately too many pubs in the past saw the head as part of the pint. They'd pull it and whilst settling take your money and go and serve elsewhere. By the time it had settled a third of the pint was froth....thats a lot of money nowadays...and the faces you used to get if you had the temerity to ask for a top up!

A pint of liquid up to the line, then a head. Perfect!

Back to sparklers my personal opinion is that I hate, no I actually come over with a feeling of dread when I ask for a pint and I look down and the sparkler is there.

corrected that for you ;)

sparklers may be a benefit with stout etc, but only the slotted metal type to provide a bit of head, not the dreaded plastic shower-head type.

as for pale beer, sparklers are simply the devil's dispense. they froth up the beer, and worse they knock the hop flavour into the head. so if the beer was heavily hopped you get hoppy foam atop bland liquid. if the beer was lightly hopped, you get vaguely hoppy foam atop a pint of yellow water! I want my pale beers to taste of hops, and I don't want any plastic spray contraption getting in the way!

Archived