Cannabis coffee shops will reduce drinking by 25%

It's coming. I think governments are realising that cannabis legalization will do nothing but good for the struggling economy.

Hmmm! I don't think that's quite how the Dutch government saw it as it brought with it an unwanted element revolving around trafficking but we do like to think we can do better than everyone else even though the facts seem to support otherwise.

Apart from increase problems with mental health ;)

Even if there was an established link between cannabis and mental health issues (there isn't), how would it be relevant? Many studies have clearly shown that legalising a drug usually leads to less people using that drug.

Let us look at this grand documentation.

Cannabis 'can increase risk of schizophrenia by 40%'

The researchers led by Stanley Zammitt of Cardiff University say they cannot prove cannabis causes schizophrenia but the association is strong enough to warn young people of the dangers.

Well documented indeed.

This is dated 2002, and says "a possible link". What is more, that problem is also linked with heavy cannabis use.

It's also quite obvious really. "Taking hallucinogenic drugs every day isn't good for you!" Really, who'd have thought that? Sort of like drinking alcohol every day can damage a liver.

Thirdly, and my final point. This drug is readily available to anyone. Criminals sells it now, freely and openly. Regulate it and licence the trade. Prohibition is an abject failure.

Your other links say the same things. It's far from clear cut.

Time

But here's the conundrum: while marijuana went from being a secret shared by a small community of hepcats and beatniks in the 1940s and '50s to a rite of passage for some 70% of youth by the turn of the century, rates of schizophrenia in the U.S. have remained flat, or possibly declined. For as long as it has been tracked, schizophrenia has been found to affect about 1% of the population.

Excuse me .. Can I have my say? having been on morphine, Tramadol, amytriptilline, diazepam, tamazepam, Omeprazole, Prozac .. For the last seven years ... I know, from experience that having a bit of weed every now and again means I can reduce these meds .. If anyone has ever had drug withdrawal, as I did last year from Oxycodone and Oxynorm, to be able to take a break from these legal drugs, would be a blessing.

Excuse me .. Can I have my say? having been on morphine, Tramadol, amytriptilline, diazepam, tamazepam, Omeprazole, Prozac .. For the last seven years ... I know, from experience that having a bit of weed every now and again means I can reduce these meds .. If anyone has ever had drug withdrawal, as I did last year from Oxycodone and Oxynorm, to be able to take a break from these legal drugs, would be a blessing.

Being in the same situation Saffy, I applaud your comments. I myself have found that when my pain overtakes my medication, a 'special' ciggy takes my mind away from the torment of constant pain and has, indeed, reduced my need for the likes of Butrans and oxycodone. Which therefore is the lesser evil ? Prescribed or non prescribed ? :thumbsup:

Archived