Cannabis coffee shops will reduce drinking by 25%

Drugs, prostitution and human trafficking are by and large interlinked

That statement is equally true allover the world. It's the problem of putting the trade in the hands of criminals. I don't see why dutch coffee shops are any more responsible than our own drug dealers. Drugs, prostitution and human trafficing will always be linked when organised criminals are involved. Counterfeit goods aswell fit into that category, but nobody says knock-off trainers are responsible for people trafficing.

the fact that coffeeshops began selling selling both hard and soft drugs where one time they did not

Never witnessed that myself.

and the relationship is easy to arrive at.

Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. Amsterdam is not a utopia, for they haven't legalised anything. They just take a liberal approach in ignoring cannabis being sold and smoked. What you say may well be true, those coffeeshops have to buy their drugs somewhere, and that may put money in the hands of criminals. I come back to my earlier point - it is is equally true allover the world.

Yet again, sadly, I can't click on hempcity at work. :) Later.

Let us look at this grand documentation.

Cannabis 'can increase risk of schizophrenia by 40%'

The researchers led by Stanley Zammitt of Cardiff University say they cannot prove cannabis causes schizophrenia but the association is strong enough to warn young people of the dangers.

Well documented indeed.

This is dated 2002, and says "a possible link". What is more, that problem is also linked with heavy cannabis use.

It's also quite obvious really. "Taking hallucinogenic drugs every day isn't good for you!" Really, who'd have thought that? Sort of like drinking alcohol every day can damage a liver.

Thirdly, and my final point. This drug is readily available to anyone. Criminals sells it now, freely and openly. Regulate it and licence the trade. Prohibition is an abject failure.

Your other links say the same things. It's far from clear cut.

Time

But here's the conundrum: while marijuana went from being a secret shared by a small community of hepcats and beatniks in the 1940s and '50s to a rite of passage for some 70% of youth by the turn of the century, rates of schizophrenia in the U.S. have remained flat, or possibly declined. For as long as it has been tracked, schizophrenia has been found to affect about 1% of the population.

I also used to deny the harmful nature of banned substances, but the the further down the rabbit hole you go the more you see. The studies available are by no means conclusive and there are also many factors at work, moderation, genetic predisposition to name but a few. Despite this there is a body of evidence that suggests that there is a link between use of the drug and mental illness. Ignore this if you wish,

Despite this there is a body of evidence that suggests that there is a link between use of the drug and mental illness. Ignore this if you wish

I don't ignore. I just remember that correlation does not imply causation. We've had years of this and still no solid proof.

A bordello. A discreet private building in which many prostitutes work.

I can see why they came to the name, but I'd never considered it myself.

Look at it as though the perimeter wall has been taken away, what's left are hookers on display with a room at the back to work in.

That statement is equally true allover the world. It's the problem of putting the trade in the hands of criminals. I don't see why dutch coffee shops are any more responsible than our own drug dealers. Drugs, prostitution and human trafficing will always be linked when organised criminals are involved. Counterfeit goods aswell fit into that category, but nobody says knock-off trainers are responsible for people trafficing.

Never witnessed that myself.

Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. Amsterdam is not a utopia, for they haven't legalised anything. They just take a liberal approach in ignoring cannabis being sold and smoked. What you say may well be true, those coffeeshops have to buy their drugs somewhere, and that may put money in the hands of criminals. I come back to my earlier point - it is is equally true allover the world.

Yet again, sadly, I can't click on hempcity at work. :) Later.

The prostitution is legal isn't it. it's only the dope smoking that isn't.

Look at it as though the perimeter wall has been taken away

I've agreed with you. :)

I can also note that the amount of prostitutes has been cut, and it isn't an awful thing. It's good to get other business into De Wallen because it's a lovely part of the city. To have it purely dedicated to smut would be a terrible waste. There are some lovely pubs and resteraunts around Oude Kerk, and within spitting distance of these women. I don't disagree with trying to improve the city in any way.

The prostitution is legal isn't it.

That it is, yes.

I don't suppose that the hard drugs are sold for all to see though.

I suppose not. Yet again though, that problem exists here.

Archived