Traditions and Customs

tiffy

We used to get Banners "cheques" when I was really young, later on I remember breaking out of Attercliffe and going to C & A in town. Whit Sunday clothes was best frock, a coat and good shoes, Whit Monday was another frock, a blazer and sandals. Then you had to tout yourself round friends and family for "oh don't you look lovely" and hopefully cash.

Thinking about touting I remember going to the picture (usually the Regal on Staniforth Road) to see an A film and standing outside and asking "will you take me in mister/missis", it never failed, they used to take your money and get your ticket with theirs. It was better if you picked what looked like a courting couple because they wanted rid of you as soon as you were inside.

• 1 month later...

I remember Banners cheque's.Your change was returned in Banners coins.

The costom of draping the windows after a death.

You covered the windows in black if a family member died.

If it was somone living in the house you used white to cover the windows.

When I lived at Owlerton in the early 40's.The "Friday Man "used to visit .He had a van and was like a travelling hardware store.

Milk was loose, by the gill.Also delivered from the back of a van

I can remember a steam driven lorry ,I am not sure what it carried ,maybe it was the bin men

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The great 'Spanky' Oates of Pitsmoor Road had the perfect antidote to bad luck when walking under a ladder, all you do is spit. We were both about 11 at the time he told me this, If I have to I still do, works for me.

Money in a wallet is still alive and well. My daughter recently bought me a wallet and put a one dollar coin in it. It also had a five cent coin sewn into it.

When I was young ,on new years eve the darkest person in the house had to go outside before midnight with a piece of coal and some money. Then allowed back in after midnight . This ensured money and warmth for the rest of the year. I think it was called "First footing".

Originally posted by tiffy

As a member of the Parson Cross Heritage Society I am currently researching some of the customs our Grandparents observed. I remember such things as taking off hats/caps and standing still should a funeral cortege pass and the practise of drawing the curtains on the day of a neighbour's funeral. Can anyone else remember any?

There was also a belief in things that might bring bad luck - breaking a mirror = 7 years bad luck; spinning a knife on the table; putting a brolly up indoors. Any more...............?

The practice of drawing curtain on someones death, has two functions, one as a mark of respect, and two in the days before the chaple of rest, the deceist was taken home and the curtain were drawn to keep the sun out and keep the room cool so the body would not go off,

Remember never be superstitious it all way brings you bad luck

Originally posted by pauline

my mum used to say that when you had just had a baby,you wasnt allowed in anyones house,untill you had been to church to give thanks,for its safe arrival.also your not supposed to hang sheets out on good friday.why do we give newborns a silver coin ?

When my first was born my wife insisted on doing the same thing, the funny thing was when she turned the car round she reversed into a grave stone ( i said go steady you'll killed some bugger) and im sure i heard a moan drift up from the grave "Ono not again" did'nt do it with the second born as the bumper cost me £75 "ouch"

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

A saying my grandmother always used sticks in my mind.

If she busy baking and you asked her what she was making she would say: "Shim-shams for meddlers and crutches for lame ducks".

My granmother would say the same thing allso things like "an earwig never enters a damp room" and "never open the post before it arrives", that was before they coyted her of to middlewood, she now shares a ward with 4 Elvis impersonators 2 Wookiees and Abraham Lincoln.

May the force be with you

Putting a hat on a table was supposed to be bad luck along with shoe,s & I still say to my son when he put's his baseball cap on the table take it off,do not know where it came from just one of my Mums saying's.Strange but spooky

Archived