Funeralcare err I mean dontcare

No, I didn't see it, but I don't think I'd be shocked. There was a programme years ago exposing the loathesome practices in the 'funeral trade'. It appears nothing has changed. It's time for real enforced regulation to clean up the industry.

Thanks for the link, I'll catch up with it, when I get the chance.

As for the Co-op, they're not what they used to be.

Would just like to ask if anyone watched the documentary on 4 last night regarding the co-op I am shocked by what I had seen. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od#3372687

Not looking, not watching. The Co-op and their employees made a very difficult time for us when my mum died a little easier with their caring and help. I have no desire to have those memories ruined by a sensationalist TV programme.

To be honest, i'm not sure what all the fuss is about, it's the same in any Large or Multi National business, they are very profit driven and as part of that they look at where they can save money and where they can make extra money.The really bad thing about it all is the fact that families have used the Co-Op down the years and one of the main reasons they perhaps put up with a lack of personal service was down to the cheaper prices they USED to charge, this is clearly not the case any longer. When a business is run in this way it is always the customer who loses out. If people want a caring, personal service in any consumer situation they generally get it with the smaller, family run businesses.

My dad died a few months ago - being the type of person he was he (and mum) had prepaid their funeral costs with the Co-Op - mainly because he got a load of Co-Op stamps which he used to buy a lawnmower - over the years they had topped it up as the costs rose and their tastes changed

When he died the funeral directors and their staff were excellent - from the day he died to the day he was cremated they could not have done any more to assist mum and the family through an emotionally difficult time - they were everything you would expect a good funeral director to be - calm, caring, helpful, patiently explaining the process on more than one occasion to many different family members, and happy to provide as much assistance as required

I didn't watch the programme so can't comment on its content - other than to say there is good and bad in every organisation - and McCabes in Thurnscoe, which is part of the Co-Op group is, at least in our experience, one of the good ones

If the programme has the angle to convey this opinion then that is what it will do. You could do one based on all the good experiences but no one woudl notice that,

I wonder how many of the relatives realised or knew that their loved ones were being stacked "like TVs" in the co-op's "hub"

Archived