I want to start cycling to and from work..what bike to get??

A reason i was looking at the one i mentioned was mainly due to the shocking sheffield roads, I didnt think one with thin tyres would be the most comfortable. As i said speed isnt an issue and i dont mind taking slightly longer getting to and from work. the majority of my ride to work is downhill anyway.

Cost, comfort and safety are my main concerns. I need something that will brake well, and is comfortable on the potholed and cracked roads. I would say i have a budget of around £200 but in that i would need to get lights and padlock(s). I already have suitable clothing.

The advantage for me with the Argos buy was using my Argos card and spreading the payments...

thanks again for all the replies everyone.

Rikki

If you go for a road bike be sure the gear ratio is ok for round Shefs hills. (big back one small front one)

Most road bikes are geared for speeds on flat runs ie the opposite(little back big front) with small gear ratio changes.

Your best bet may be a hybrid with semi slicks tyres.

If you are going to carry on cycling come the winter (no reason why not) make sure it either has mudguards or at least threaded lugs so that you can fix them come the winter.

The choice is staying dry with mudguards or looking cool with a wet ass and a black line up your back when you arrive at work.:hihi:

Don't do what you did as a kid and get a massive bike! Make sure it's a good comfortable fit. You can always stick the saddle up, it's much better than getting a frame that is too big. If possible take a few for a little ride as they vary greatly.

Something with basic front suspension will make your trip more comfortable and just get standard brakes. The ones with cable disk brakes are usually either more expensive, or they have reduced the quality somewhere else and they aren't really any better.

Lights are cheap as chips so I would not worry to much about them.

Get a decent D-Lock. Don't be tempted by any form of cable lock, they are all crap.

The Decathlon bikes are good value and there is a chance you can try one out before you buy it. You will at least be able to test the size.

I have a cheap mountain bike with full suspension. I bought it second hand but it had never been used; I haven't used it that much but it squeaks already, I think I need to clean it and attack it with some WD40.

I had mudguards on my last bike, and to be honest, they didn't help, but I suppose they don't when you ride through big puddles in the woods :hihi:

for road commute dont get a mountain bike,bloody hard work on road use

got my hybrid from amazon £130 delivery included highly satisfied

Or change the tyres!

My Girlfriend bought a Dhaon? It was pretty much designed for commuting, but was not really that good in Sheffield because of the hills.

Archived