Bailiffs-help who do I call?

If council bailiffs are involved then there must have been some sort of court order I think...you haven't missed any correspondence from them have you?

only if it got posted to a previous address. In which case their first step must be to write to me-not to send bailiffs around!

If council bailiffs are involved then there must have been some sort of court order I think...you haven't missed any correspondence from them have you?

Same with me, no letters of communication

, phone calls or emails. The first I knew was some ape in a white van waving the enforcement letter.

I don't wish to call a random on a mobile-it could be anyone! I have not been told I owe any money prior to this hand posted message!

I never said you had to or should HOWEVER it is industry practice which should reassure you it is not a scam and help you not feel as scared.

Same with me, no letters of communication

, phone calls or emails. The first I knew was some ape in a white van waving the enforcement letter.

what happened? At least I have watched enough telly to know not to open the door I guess. Disgusting that the council would allow a company to act like that!

aaaarrrrrghhhh the company rang on my home phone and I got through to the council at the same time on my mobile. I told the company I would speak to the council first and put the phone down on them just as my mobile cut out!!! back on hold!

what happened?

Paid it. The original £20 missed which was for 1 week of the tax was turned into £350 for court fees and enforcement fee.

The bailiff went to my Nans house who is in her 70's to flex his muscles and told her the " or else " line. I paid it as soon as I found out what had gone off.

But it was same with me , rented flat 6 months contract and I left as the contract was up. I told the owners and settled the bills , but missed a 5 day council tax payment.

Usually, the only way to actually get rid of bailiffs is to have a Solicitor phone up, usually stops them dead in their tracks. That is, unless they have a court order.

If you need advice, give Wosskow Brown Solicitors in Sheffield a call. They deal with this stuff quite regularly and will give you free initial advice on what to do.

Really hope that helps.

just a few things that bailiffs can do

We all live and learn... and now have got to challenge these shysters.

Bailiff Notice

Commercial bailiffs, who will be sending you lots of letters, whilst rarely visiting your property; have far fewer powers than court bailiffs and can be sorted out with a few documents and a simply procedure.

You can print out a Notice of Removal of Implied Right of Access and laminate it, then place this notice at the entrance of your property the likes of gateposts, front windows etc, some may find this embarrassing and would not like neighbours knowing their business that would be up to them.

Should the bailiff ignore it he will be trespassing on your property.If cavers so wish? i'll attach this Notice of Removal of Implied Right of Access your call guy's/girls?

If you are expecting bailiffs to visit and you don't know who is at the door, then don't open it when somebody knocks. Ask, through a window or the mailbox (or just shout through the door) and ask who it is. If they reply that are from the Council or some other authority or body, ask exactly who they are and what their business is with you. If they are a bailiff or other undesired person, say, "Just a moment, please" and go out of the back door locking it behind you and go to meet them by the front door, taking with you a clipboard, a note pad and a camera.

If there is more than one of them, do the following for each person; ask them again, writing down all the answers, who they are employed by who they are an agent for. Ask to see their ID and write down everything on it - ask if they mind you taking a photograph of it and do so, then ask for the following:

• their bailiff's certificate number.

• which court certificated them.

• what their business is

• a full breakdown of their fees

• to see their warrant

• if they mind you taking a photograph of it and do so.

• if they have a Walking Possession Order; if so, ask them to hold it for you while you take a photograph. (Don't take hold of it if he offers it to you?)

• ask them to complete and sign for your records, the template letter confirming their attendance on your property. When completed, post it through your mailbox.

• ask if they saw the notice at the front gate - the Notice of Removal of Implied Right of Access

Take note if it has a court stamp and/or the signature of an agent of the court.

Take a photograph of them with your front door in the background.

Tell them politely and kindly that they have committed the statutory offence of trespass, because they have failed to comply with your notice and you will be pursuing damages in court.

If their warrant did not have either a court stamp or the signature of a court official or both then tell them politely and kindly that it is invalid and why.

Do NOT sign the Walking Possession Order or any other document offered to you by the bailiff.

Do NOT confirm your name or identity.

Do NOT admit the debt.

As they depart go with them and take photographs of them leaving your property (ideally with the notice in the background)

You then have the evidence to pursue them in the County Court and need to take a small claim against them.

If you are in the UK, follow this link for more information https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Archived