Bailiffs-help who do I call?

it seems from the dates that a previous landlord did not pay council tax after we left our property early i.e. before the date of the end of the tenancy on the agreement and he is offering this as proof we were still at the property.

one of the really annoying things is I helped pay their wages for 10 years-how dare they threaten me:rant:

wall to wall debt advice adverts on my computer now-I will sue!:hihi:

seriously though how worried should I be about leaving the house? I want to go to the citizens advice bureau today and then I will have to go to work but I am worried they will have broken in:(

If I leave the car on the drive hopefully that would go first-we were going to part ex it this weekend but I will defer that until this is sorted. In some ways that would save us a job and would realistically cover the charge although it depends how rock bottom they would sell it on for

The other option is to pay an installment but I am violently opposed to this on principle as I have received no bill yet just a piece of paper with a mobile number and charge. I can't believe how dodgy this is:mad:

The guy at the council basically said it wasn't their problem:huh: although they have said they will hold it for 28 days. I am unsure whether that will stop the debt company though as won't the council have passed on the responsibility to them?

I will speak to cab then a solicitor if needs be, I am going to complain my arse off about this:rant:

A bailiff can't break in, just make sure your house is properly secure, including locking all your windows.

Edit - if no CCJ has been issued then the 'bailiff' can't really do anything at all. To take something from you would be theft.

If the council have simply sold the 'debt' then at the moment you have very little to fear apart from attempts like this to intimidate you.

A bailiff can't break in, just make sure your house is properly secure, including locking all your windows.

Edit - if no CCJ has been issued then the 'bailiff' can't really do anything at all. To take something from you would be theft.

If the council have simply sold the 'debt' then at the moment you have very little to fear apart from attempts like this to intimidate you.

But its a magistrates liability order, I missed a court date I was not told about!

you need to speak with the council.call the bailiff and ask him if he has any court papers and if any which court issued them.does his letter say he is from the courts or just a collection agency there is a vast difference.he cant do anything without a court order.do not let him into your house not even to use the toilet.as this gives him the right to enter your home.YOU MUST CALL THE POLICE AND HAVE HIM CHECKED OUT.call the council and the courts to find out how this has occured.if the council had found your new address after 4 years they would not just turn up with a bailiff,you would have receved mail regarding the fact and for you to pay or not.seems a bit strange to me.also never admit you owe any money you must tell them to send you proof and a breakdown of how and when this occured.dont be frightened by this if you dont owe any money dont pay it.if the bailiff has no court papers and is from a second party call the police once you have closed the door in his face.very strange this as council bailiffs dont normally give you a mobile number and his letter should tell you which court he is from and a landline number for that court to contact him there.

phone the bailiff and ask him where the court papers are from.ask him for the court landline number,if he hasent got one or simply avoids the question tell him to basically sod off and that you have called the police and your solicitor.dont admit to any debt.close your curtains when you go to work so he cant see any goods.this dosent sound like a court bailiff to me.give the police his mobile number they will check him out.believe me no council would send bailiffs without contacting you first an i repeat if they found your new address you would have recieved numerous letters prior to court action.

But its a magistrates liability order, I missed a court date I was not told about!

Ah, I don't think you mentioned that in your OP

http://www.bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/counciltax.htm

By law, the local authority must give you 14 days written notice that they have obtained the Liability Order and that it will be sent to their relevant bailiff company for enforcement.

http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetForm.do?court_forms_id=484

That can be used to ask the court to set aside the liability order.

Archived