Bailiffs-help who do I call?

Ah, I don't think you mentioned that in your OP

http://www.bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/counciltax.htm

http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetForm.do?court_forms_id=484

That can be used to ask the court to set aside the liability order.

Yeah, in a bit of a panic and omitting the most important info doh! The council know and I understand why they think I owe. They are not interested in correcting the mistake though !

If council bailiffs are involved then there must have been some sort of court order I think...you haven't missed any correspondence from them have you?

If the court order is not signed by a Judge then it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Always check if they have been signed (generally they are not, they are automated).

I think you should be able to apply for the liability order to be set aside on the basis that you were given the chance to dispute it (ie served with papers), then when the council reapply you can dispute your liability and if you can prove that you aren't liable they can then go and chase someone else.

this is crazy and my head hurts.

So after arguing and finally get through to the sheffield council tax back room I have an email stating the action will be held until 31st July so at least I can see a bill before the bailiffs come round now:loopy: (saying that I really don't trust any of this)

The back roomer also said I would only need to state the date I left the property for this to be sorted-if it was that easy why wasn't I told that last night:rant: (this statement was only over the phone though so I am still going to CAB. If nothing else I will ask them for advice on how to complain most effectively.)

Thanks for all the advice people it was very much appreciated, hopefully all will now be well.:(

I have asked for details of legal proceedings so hopefully now I can sort that bit out.

What action are they going to hold? It sounds like they already passed it on to a bailiff...

They might want some evidence as to the date you left, do you have any, prepare it in advance in case they ask for it.

Sounds good, so they've instructed the bailiff to hold off and if you can prove that you were no longer a tenant at that address (being a tenant somewhere else and having given the landlord notice that you were leaving should be sufficient) you should be able to sort it all out.

Once it's sorted you can ask them why they went to a bailiff first instead of contacting you!

Archived