Bailiffs-help who do I call?

Sounds good, so they've instructed the bailiff to hold off and if you can prove that you were no longer a tenant at that address (being a tenant somewhere else and having given the landlord notice that you were leaving should be sufficient) you should be able to sort it all out.

Once it's sorted you can ask them why they went to a bailiff first instead of contacting you!

Believe me I will be complaining my arse off....as soon as I get a letter confirming I owe nothing or have paid off anything I owe:D I will complain both about never receiving a bill and about the call centre staff at the city council claiming it was nothing to do with them now the bailiffs had taken over. Oh and about the court proceedings I wasn't told about. Its all ridiculous and I still think the letter I received was very dodgy:huh: I am really annoyed in particular at the city council worker who told me that I was definitely liable for council tax at a property I had no access to:huh: She clearly did not know that. They were demanding money with menaces without sending me a bill-ever! The word is livid!!

The citizens advice bureau were fabulous!! It took ages to actually get advice but it was in hours not days, she phoned the bailiffs and confirmed the account was on hold and will be sending all my evidence that I was living in another city to the council for me. I don't even have to speak with the idiots again! I am sure I could do all this myself but having no knowledge of these things I am not confident I would not miss something-and its all on record etc.

On another point what is that lawful entry stuff about? If you owe money on a loan or something and are refusing to pay shouldn't bailiffs be allowed entry (maybe with accompaniment from a police officer) and evidence you have knowledge of an unpaid bill. I don't really understand the keep your windows and doors locked argument? They shouldn't be allowed to do anything at all until they have proof you are refusing to pay and after that they should have to be accompanied by some legal official not just turn up like gangster heavies?:huh:

• 4 weeks later...

It has taken over a month and plenty of misinformation but apparently Sheffield City Council have admitted to CAB that I do not owe any council tax.

Well done CAB

Shame on you city council!

Now I can start composing my complaint letter (rubs hands with glee)

still a bit annoyed that Im guessing they will not be chasing the guy that actually owes council tax but at least I am not losing out on a lot of MY money!

Still never received a single bill:huh:

Send them a bill for your wasted time, and then instruct bailiffs to seize city hall when they fail to pay!

:hihi::hihi:

Ideally I would sue them for wasted time and stress and donate the money to CAB who were really very helpful!

still incredulous that a city council can be so dumb!!

I think I will start with addressing their customer charter:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/how-to-contact-us/complaints-comments/customer-charter.html

Oh my it says they will answer calls within 20 seconds!!! The number I was using must be missing from their A-Zguide.

Believe me I will be complaining my arse off....as soon as I get a letter confirming I owe nothing or have paid off anything I owe:D I will complain both about never receiving a bill and about the call centre staff at the city council claiming it was nothing to do with them now the bailiffs had taken over. Oh and about the court proceedings I wasn't told about. Its all ridiculous and I still think the letter I received was very dodgy:huh: I am really annoyed in particular at the city council worker who told me that I was definitely liable for council tax at a property I had no access to:huh: She clearly did not know that. They were demanding money with menaces without sending me a bill-ever! The word is livid!!

The citizens advice bureau were fabulous!! It took ages to actually get advice but it was in hours not days, she phoned the bailiffs and confirmed the account was on hold and will be sending all my evidence that I was living in another city to the council for me. I don't even have to speak with the idiots again! I am sure I could do all this myself but having no knowledge of these things I am not confident I would not miss something-and its all on record etc.

On another point what is that lawful entry stuff about? If you owe money on a loan or something and are refusing to pay shouldn't bailiffs be allowed entry (maybe with accompaniment from a police officer) and evidence you have knowledge of an unpaid bill. I don't really understand the keep your windows and doors locked argument? They shouldn't be allowed to do anything at all until they have proof you are refusing to pay and after that they should have to be accompanied by some legal official not just turn up like gangster heavies?:huh:

They can climb through a window or open your door and walk in, if its left unlocked.Once they have gained entry, they can come and go as they please after.If they kept coming and you refused the council will just put an attachment to earnings anyway.

The council are pathetic, several years ago I took all my documents down and they photo copied them. A couple of weeks later they said if I didn't supply with the documents then my claim for council tax reduction would be discarded. I was as good as called a liar even though I took them to the town hall and they copied them. I wrote a letter of complaint asking to be reimbursed for my expenses as I had to get everything done again, never even got a reply so don't hold your breath.

They can climb through a window or open your door and walk in, if its left unlocked.Once they have gained entry, they can come and go as they please after.If they kept coming and you refused the council will just put an attachment to earnings anyway.

I understand the rule I am saying its stupid. If they are legally allowed to take your porperty they should be legally allowed to force entry. If they are not legally entitled to your property they shouldn't be allowed in for any reason.

None of this should be relevant of course if they never asked you for payment of a bill which is true in my case.

When a police officer attends with a bailiff, the officer is there strictly as a peace officer.

Always ask the officer if he is there as a peace officer or police officer, generally they will acknowledge that they are acting as peace officers.

This means that the officer will not intervene unless a law has been broken, and normally are called to cover the bailiffs back, to ensure that the bailiffs actions are legal.

As long as you don't go breaking any laws the officers do not get involved at all and are not their to ensure that a bailiff can take your belongings.

Always check any court orders, if it does not have a judges signature the document is invalid and the police officer can be used to prevent the bailiff forcing entry.

A judge would not sign any "dodgy" (fraudulent) court orders.

Archived