Miss/Mademoiselle/Ms..

I prefer Ms, more modern

Mrs to me sounds frumpy

I prefer Ms too. Means I'm a person in my own right rather than an extension of a Mr.

In Germany, 'Fräulein' (Miss) now appears to be reserved for very young females, or those who prefer to let people know they are not married. - Most females in their late teens or older seem to be addressed as 'Frau' (Mrs.)

'Frau' doesn't seem to be associated with either 'frumpiness' or 'possession/extension'.

Germans are often very particular about forms of address. - If I fill in an online form asking for my name, it usually requests a title: 'Herr', 'Professor' 'Doktor' 'Professor Doktor', 'Freiherr' etc. (I have an acquaintance whose 'proper' form of address is "'Professor Doktor Alex Freiherr von A..." - It's a bit of a mouthfull.:hihi: 'Alex' is a lot easier.)

When the term 'Ms' first appeared, I was amused.

'Mr' is (and was) the abbreviation for 'Mister'.

'Mrs' is (and was) the abbreviation for 'Missis'.

'Ms' was the abbreviation for 'Manuscript'.

Who the hell wants to be addressed as 'Manuscript'?

What is the correct pronunciation of 'Ms'?

If it's 'Mizz', how many 'Z's should be pronounced?

'Miz', 'Mizz', Mizzzzzzzzzzzzzz' or what?

Could that not be mistaken for a Southern-state pronunciation of 'Miss'?

If people wish to be addressed in a particular manner, then I'll go along with it. I find the use of a 'title' unnecessary. 'Rupert' works just fine.

You can call me anything you like ... a long as you don't call me late for breakfast.:hihi:

"Miss"

Does the term offend you? Do you see it as a form of sexism/discrimination?

Should we in the UK ban it? We seem to have recognised that "Miss" is a somewhat outdated term but it can still be used on official documents etc.

If Mrs = I'm married, then Miss will indicate that I'm not so therefore 'available'. No term for the male is an indication of availability. Is it time for women to be recognised as such?..or is it a load of old palava?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9097054/Mademoiselle-banned-on-official-French-forms.html#

Do the majority of women really care about this sort of stuff these days or is it just a few neurotic leftovers from the days of womens lib who still think it's of any significance?

Do the majority of women really care about this sort of stuff these days or is it just a few neurotic leftovers from the days of womens lib who still think it's of any significance?

Why are you obsessed with majority?

And who are "just a few neurotic leftovers from the days of womens lib"?

Why are you obsessed with majority?

And who are "just a few neurotic leftovers from the days of womens lib"?

Well who cares about what you classify yourself as. You go to a medical office, they give you a form to fill out. They ask you if you're Mrs, Miss or Ms along with a lot of other stuff.

The nurse looks at the form, the doctor looks at the form and neither give a toss about what you style yourself.

It's not important to anybody but the person who has a problem about Mrs, Miss or Ms. Nobody else in the world gives a damn

I wonder why the terms, used as a sign of availability or not, are so acceptable in a time where women are considered equal in every right?

Ms on the other hand indicates nothing more than Mr does for males.

I agree with you. I use Ms, always have done before I married and would never dream of using Mrs or changing my surname. My kids have both of our surnames, they were going to have just mine but my father-in-law kicked up a stink.:roll:

Well who cares about what you classify yourself as. You go to a medical office, they give you a form to fill out. They ask you if you're Mrs, Miss or Ms along with a lot of other stuff.

The nurse looks at the form, the doctor looks at the form and neither give a toss about what you style yourself.

It's not important to anybody but the person who has a problem about Mrs, Miss or Ms. Nobody else in the world gives a damn

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Well whoever sticks a piece of paper under your nose.

You don't have to class yourself as anything..the form is asking that of you. That's the whole point.

Other than your gender why is it necessary for a doctor to know if you're a miss, mrs, ms?

And of course it matters..you'd be pretty peed off if you were labelled miss.:hihi:

I agree with you. I use Ms, always have done before I married and would never dream of using Mrs or changing my surname. My kids have both of our surnames, they were going to have just mine but my father-in-law kicked up a stink.:roll:

Well you would, being a " neurotic leftover from the days of womens lib" :hihi:

Archived