Miss/Mademoiselle/Ms..

I really think that might be your hang up rather than a fact. Sir and Miss are both terms of respect.

I don't think so, Sir is a term used to also bestow those with knighthoods and it has very different connotations to Miss. Language is a very powerful tool and conveys messages.

I don't think so, Sir is a term used to also bestow those with knighthoods and it has very different connotations to Miss. Language is a very powerful tool and conveys messages.

Isn't that the point of languages? To convey messages! That being said, we all have our own interpretations of what those messages are. What I see, you might see as something completely different, and vice versa.

How many times have you either sent or received a text message, only to 'take it the wrong way'...or misinterpret it as meaning something entirely different to what was actually meant!

A knighthood Sir is just a different word. Miss and Sir are equivalents, both convey respect and state gender-that is all.

...unless of course you say them with a sarcy accent!

A knighthood Sir is just a different word. Miss and Sir are equivalents, both convey respect and state gender-that is all.

...unless of course you say them with a sarcy accent!

It is the same word that whilst used in a different context, still carries far more weight than 'Miss'. Miss does not convey the same amount of respect as Sir, by any stretch.

It is the same word that whilst used in a different context, still carries far more weight than 'Miss'. Miss does not convey the same amount of respect as Sir, by any stretch.

in your head it doesn't. That doesn't make it a fact, maybe you just have an inferiority complex?

I have less respect for people that use Ms, I accept that is not because they are lesser species it is because I loathe the word. It is my hang up.

Isn't that the point of languages? To convey messages! That being said, we all have our own interpretations of what those messages are. What I see, you might see as something completely different, and vice versa.

How many times have you either sent or received a text message, only to 'take it the wrong way'...or misinterpret it as meaning something entirely different to what was actually meant!

Misinterpreting the written word, espcially when it's written in shorthand, is very different to how the titles Miss and Sir are not equal in terms of status and gravitas.

Archived