The Brew House-What's happening?

;)

this I agree with. all about the condition rather than the actual quality of the brew, when both are important. And the true bores of course will mark the beer down for not tasting of toffee and twigs...

---------- Post added 23-06-2014 at 13:14 ----------

agree 100% - too many people don't know the difference, even stalwart camra members. blaming a brewery when the beer tastes of vinegar, or blaming the pub when the beer tastes of butterscotch or phenol (TCP) - both equally ignorant and equally common

---------- Post added 23-06-2014 at 13:16 ----------

this I agree with far less. BD feel (rightly or wrongly) that keg suits their beers better - I think in some cases this is right and in some cases wrong, it depends on the beer. I honestly don't think it's to do with taking out the cellarman factor, as they make such a big deal out of how all their staff are more qualified and accredited than your average doctor...

And I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact they can charge more for keg ;)

Thanks for at least partially agreeing mate! ;)

However, I can only comment on the reasons Brewdog gave for withdrawing from cask in the first place, and the reasons they have given for their decision not to re-enter the market at this years AGM.

Of course it could all be just spin, but Jemson is right. They don't care about money, do they? :hihi:

;)

Thanks for at least partially agreeing mate! ;)

However, I can only comment on the reasons Brewdog gave for withdrawing from cask in the first place, and the reasons they have given for their decision not to re-enter the market at this years AGM.

Of course it could all be just spin, but Jemson is right. They don't care about money, do they? :hihi:

Of course not - they're punks, they wouldn't be so crass as to be motivated by profit ;)

So looking at the photos on Facebook, seems theres the usual handpulls at the front of the bar, and a large amount of keg taps at the back. anyone know what theyve got on? The photos arent clear enough to be able to read the pump clips.

It's not just about the beer though. It matters more to me what the place is like. I can think of plenty of bars and pubs I like that don't sell any real ale at all. There are also lots of cask ale mecca type places that I can't abide.

On the basis of one visit I like this place and will return. It sells cask ale (several in fact) but that's not the most important thing.

So looking at the photos on Facebook, seems theres the usual handpulls at the front of the bar, and a large amount of keg taps at the back. anyone know what theyve got on? The photos arent clear enough to be able to read the pump clips.

The handpulls on the bar serve their own Aardvark beers plus guests from Yorkshire and the East Midlands. At the moment the Aardvark beers are test brews produce elsewhere but they anticipate commencing brewing on the premises in about a months time and you can see the brewery through viewing windows from the bar's back room.

The fonts on the bar serve mainly well known brands such as Stella.

The keg taps on the back wall feature a more interesting selection with draught beers from Camden Town, Anchor Steam, Flying Dog, Thornbridge and Brewdog.

The Brewhouse bar has three rooms, all with a modern decor and style. One of the rooms is a lounge type room with sofas and low lighting, one has cafe style tables and views of the brewery and the main room with the bar has tall tables and stools.

I'm told the ethos is to give good beer the quality stage it deserves but in an environment that offers an atmosphere where all feel comfortable.

Edited by Andy C

It's not just about the beer though. It matters more to me what the place is like. I can think of plenty of bars and pubs I like that don't sell any real ale at all. There are also lots of cask ale mecca type places that I can't abide.

On the basis of one visit I like this place and will return. It sells cask ale (several in fact) but that's not the most important thing.

I partially agree with this in that I don't like drinking in a dive bar just cos it has good beer (Cask Corner Doncaster anyone?) But then I am also against drinking in a smart bar that has beer I don't like. Especially when it's overpriced (£4.50 for Peroni - get real!) I mean you wouldn't go out for a meal at a posh French restaurant, no matter how nice, if you didn;t like French food would you?

In other words - what Andy C said :D

I partially agree with this in that I don't like drinking in a dive bar just cos it has good beer (Cask Corner Doncaster anyone?) But then I am also against drinking in a smart bar that has beer I don't like. Especially when it's overpriced (£4.50 for Peroni - get real!) I mean you wouldn't go out for a meal at a posh French restaurant, no matter how nice, if you didn;t like French food would you?

In other words - what Andy C said :D

OK, 'You are the (CAMRA) Ref' - imagine you are on a long boring train journey with the hours stretching ahead and you fancy a beer. The buffet or trolley only has cans of Stella (and no other alcoholic beverages). As a paid up camraman what do you do? (a) Drink Stella, or (b) Not drink any beer at all because there is no cask ale available and you must never imbibe the fizzy stuff.

Same goes if you are in a football stadium/arena gig/working mens club/wedding in a duff venue/any bar anywhere else in the world.

Yes the 1970s and 1980s were horrendous for the loss of breweries and cask ales but it's in danger of going too far the other way now. In a blind scientific test I doubt most drinkers could tell the difference between a lot of beers of a similar type.

Honestly, if I wanted a beer, I'd wait til I could have one! That doesn't have to mean cask, but I really see no point drinking the likes of Stella - it doesn't taste nice (to me) so why bother, and certainly why pay for it? In exactly the same way as if I were hungry and found McDogmeat I'd just stay hungry til I found proper food

I guess my take on this is I have no interest in the alcohol, I drink beer for the taste. If the beer doesn't taste nice I may as well stick to water...