The Brew House-What's happening?

Im interested to know how far people will take this fastidiousness.

Each to their own obviously but at an event, like a wedding, or stag due, or any party where you cant get what you want do you just give up and go home, or do you take whats on offer and have a good time?

I understand and appreciate having what i want where i want it is better but its often just not realistic, how do you all cope?

Good point. Recently I was at a 40th somewhere in West One, can`t remember the bar. I tried a few of their bottled lagers and beers like Vedett and Duvel. They were ok. I did get full of gas though and felt a bit `edgy` compared to drinking real ale.

Mind you, at weddings, I`ll happily drink red wine, Guinness maybe.

Good point. Recently I was at a 40th somewhere in West One, can`t remember the bar. I tried a few of their bottled lagers and beers like Vedett and Duvel. They were ok. I did get full of gas though and felt a bit `edgy` compared to drinking real ale.

Mind you, at weddings, I`ll happily drink red wine, Guinness maybe.

Duvel IS real ale isn't it? Bottle conditioned. Lovely stuff anyway. One of those makes a pleasant change every now and again.

Duvel IS real ale isn't it? Bottle conditioned. Lovely stuff anyway. One of those makes a pleasant change every now and again.
Very much so. Having to drink Duvel isn't quite the same as having to drink Fosters or Miller Lite!

Im interested to know how far people will take this fastidiousness.

Each to their own obviously but at an event, like a wedding, or stag due, or any party where you cant get what you want do you just give up and go home, or do you take whats on offer and have a good time?

I understand and appreciate having what i want where i want it is better but its often just not realistic, how do you all cope?

If I may can I turn the question back on you? Suppose you went to a party and all they had was Indian food. But you really don't like Indian food. Do you eat it anyway or wait till you get home an order a pizza? And does your abstaining from the food spoil your enjoyment at the party?

For me - if the drinks were free I'd have one anyway. But I might as well have Coke as a John Smiths for all it does for me. In fact Coke tastes better, so I'd probably opt for that.

In general if I go to a party I'll take some good stuff with me. On the basis that most lagerboys wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, so at least there will be something there for me :c)

---------- Post added 26-06-2014 at 14:15 ----------

[/color]

Spent Easter in Rome as I knew the Italian craft beer scene was booming but found no evidence of the same in Spain. Will do a bit more research for the next trip as i really like Barcelona. Thanks for the info. :c)

Rome is top for beer, and around Trastavere (sp?) is almost like our Valley of Beer for having several good pubs in walking distance of reach other. Barcelona is more spread out, but still several days worth of drinking! 2D2D-Spuma has more beers than the Sheffield Tap...

By the way - just in case you're interested in the worst country I've had so far... Honours go to Argentina where the only thing I could find was Quilmes. This basically tastes like Bud Light. Avoid.

sorry?! you really do need to do better research ;)

Depends where you went in Argie, but BsAs has a mental beer scene - I scratched the surface and went to about half a dozen brewpubs (including one with cask beer!) and a couple of multitap bars. Away from BsAs there's the odd brewpub, and quite a few microbreweries

Agree re Quilmes though - bought one bottle, took one swig, emptied rest out of train window!

you need this site (it's a bit out of date but a good starting point) - http://www.scoopergen.co.uk/googlemaps.htm and http://www.scoopergen.co.uk/scoopingabroad.htm

anyway, the worst country I've done for beer is Bangladesh. They make two beers, here's one of them http://t.co/unX6S4Bj7D, the other looks remarkably like a Carlsberg can. both taste like poor counterparts to what they're ripping off, if that's possible...

Edited by SteelCityAle

If I may can I turn the question back on you? Suppose you went to a party and all they had was Indian food. But you really don't like Indian food. Do you eat it anyway or wait till you get home an order a pizza? And does your abstaining from the food spoil your enjoyment at the party?

For me - if the drinks were free I'd have one anyway. But I might as well have Coke as a John Smiths for all it does for me. In fact Coke tastes better, so I'd probably opt for that.

In general if I go to a party I'll take some good stuff with me. On the basis that most lagerboys wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, so at least there will be something there for me :c)

I think my point was perhaps drinking, and getting drunk were part of the event, so whereas not eating would make me hungry it wouldnt exclude me in any way.

My perception, from some of the posts, was that if you went to an event where real ale wasnt available you wouldnt drink or get drunk, i can now see in most cases there is some flexibility.

What about bottled beer? Does it have to be bottle-conditioned only for the contemporary camraman? When you get home it's 'all shook up' so you have to chill it for a bit (then let it warm up slightly). It can be very tasty stuff but I find it a bit impractical and usually buy bottles without yeast in (which obviously isn't 'real ale'). I guess cans are always a no-no whatever they contain?

What about bottled beer? Does it have to be bottle-conditioned only for the contemporary camraman? When you get home it's 'all shook up' so you have to chill it for a bit (then let it warm up slightly). It can be very tasty stuff but I find it a bit impractical and usually buy bottles without yeast in (which obviously isn't 'real ale'). I guess cans are always a no-no whatever they contain?

I think only the most militant member* would refuse non-bottle-conditioned bottles :hihi:

* I am a member ;)

---------- Post added 26-06-2014 at 16:21 ----------

I went in last night

Awesome place , gorgeous beer

try T4 , brewed in house , its very very moreish ;)

I liked it, a bit spartan maybe but the atmos will pick up as soon as more people are in there (I popped in on Tuesday teatime).

Edited by belperite
Clarifying my non-CAMRA militancy!