Elsie & Dennis Tanner in Attercliffe.

Just out of curiosity I did a bit of research on William Pierrepont the greengrocer. Born in 1905, he was the son of the Dewsbury-born William Pierrepont (1882-1945) who in the early 1900s was a "fish merchant and fruiterer", at 53 Main Road, Darnall. William Pierrepont Jnr. died in 1979. The shop must have closed a few years earlier; it's listed in the 1968 directory but not in 1973.

Thanks for a very special memory for me David, and many thanks too to doseydoodah for the fantastic photos. I know that sounds over the top, but I worked at Banners on Saturdays and met my wife to be there when we were 17. We were both on the second floor of the building in the second 'photo in 1961 and heard all the cheering and knew what was going on, but the windows were too high to look out of. It was so exciting at that time, 'Coronation Street' was something really new and different and we used to watch it avidly. At last I can see what was going on!

Regards, Peter.

Early 1960's Pat Phoenix and her 'son' opened a store opposite Banner's; who else remembers that ? Seperately, whilst on Attercliffe, what happened to Pierpoint's green, wooden fruit hut there ?

Hi PeterR, Coronation Street was humourous, light-hearted and above all moral and, like yourself, we never missed an episode. It went off the rails in the early 90's when the real characters got replaced by too many uninspiring youngsters and the less pleasant side of life took over in the scripts. It's become 'East Enders of the North' and lost its magic for us ( and millions more, judging by the ratings ). They justify this by saying it better reflects 'real life' ; personally I think it's making social problems seem the norm instead of encouraging the avoidance of them.

Hi David, thanks for you comments. Enough to say I believe they are exactly right.

Regards, Peter.

Hi PeterR, Coronation Street was humourous, light-hearted and above all moral and, like yourself, we never missed an episode. It went off the rails in the early 90's when the real characters got replaced by too many uninspiring youngsters and the less pleasant side of life took over in the scripts. It's become 'East Enders of the North' and lost its magic for us ( and millions more, judging by the ratings ). They justify this by saying it better reflects 'real life' ; personally I think it's making social problems seem the norm instead of encouraging the avoidance of them.

Archived