That it should come to this!

What about all the able bodied adults not giving up their seats for the disabled person or the war veteran? How old were these children? they only did as they were told and the teachers were following rules, what's wrong with that? maybe we should be more disgusted that the educated teachers didn't give up their seats? Now that makes more sense to me!

Or the driver could have got up and asked if anyone would give up a seat.

Or the driver could have got up and asked if anyone would give up a seat.

On a train I think it is left up to the conducters, I doubt the train driver would do any thing?

But yes you are right, why not voice the complaint with someone who could have done something about the situation instead of complaining to the newspapers?

The children get the blame for being ignorant when all they were doing was following the teachers rules. Damned if they do damned if they don't (follow the rules) that is!

On a train I think it is left up to the conducters, I doubt the train driver would do any thing?

The train driver won't have been aware of the issue unless someone went to the front of the train to talk to him. Tube trains don't have guards, the only member of staff on an Underground train is the driver (unless some revenue protection staff happen to be there to check tickets).

Why couldn't the complainers discuss the problem with the teachers - they've said if they knew they were disabled they would have got people to move. Why couldn't the complainers move to a different carriage where the kids weren't sitting? How many kids were involved? Were there other people sitting? Why didn't they move?

There are so many factors here which the story doesn't cover, that it suggests to me that this is mostly people taking the opportunity to moan about how things used to be much better back in my day, rather than a genuine incident caused by somebody's failure to do their job properly.

why didnt any of the teachers offer their seat up instead?

we also had school trips, and never shared public transport.

I cant remember ever needing to surrender my seat on a bus or train, have done in a bus stop before, and at hospital

The train driver won't have been aware of the issue unless someone went to the front of the train to talk to him. Tube trains don't have guards, the only member of staff on an Underground train is the driver (unless some revenue protection staff happen to be there to check tickets).

I didn't know that.

Why couldn't the complainers discuss the problem with the teachers - they've said if they knew they were disabled they would have got people to move. Why couldn't the complainers move to a different carriage where the kids weren't sitting? How many kids were involved? Were there other people sitting? Why didn't they move?

There are so many factors here which the story doesn't cover, that it suggests to me that this is mostly people taking the opportunity to moan about how things used to be much better back in my day, rather than a genuine incident caused by somebody's failure to do their job properly.

Couldn't agree more, with all the above.

I dont use public transport where I live but during a year living in Montreal, Canada I never saw any person give up their seat to anybody else either on buses or trains

Giving up seats must be a British thing

It's more of a polite thing; if someone else has more difficulty standing than you do, you let them sit down.

It's more of a polite thing; if someone else has more difficulty standing than you do, you let them sit down.

Politeness usually due to consideration.

If it's a "British" thing then we've obviously failed to export it.

Edit: to Canada at least.

C'mon..give the "eee wen I was a lad" a break, their on a roll and this is the perfect platform.:hihi:

Archived