Is is illegal to read your spouse's emails

Not really, no. Government can pass laws to make it legal for certain groups - such as the police, while conducting investigations - to do so. It would still be a criminal offence for an individual to do so without permission.

Well I didn't give them permission to view my emails or computer, telephone of whatever.

I don't see the problem unless you have something to hide and the relationship is based on deceit. My OH can read my emails and does because I have nothing to hide and I read his because neither has he. We have a relationship based on mutual trust and open-ness

Yes, it is illegal. Reading anyone's communications - electronic or otherwise - without their permission is a criminal offence.

It gets more complicated, though, if a married couple are in the routine habit of checking each other's emails; but if you've never given permission, the position is quite clear.

Are you sure?

As an employee I would never send, or ask to receive, anything confidential using my work email, because I know it could be read by the network administrators.

Even in a home environment, somebody often manages all the email accounts and is likely to read some stuff even if inadvertently.

It might be rude, but I can't think it's illegal.

My friends in the middle of tracking her husbands on line Romance, she's sharing the infomation with us at work, it's great, like a good soap opera, even have Picts of her and her kids from FB page, her husband has no idea of the amo she has agiaints him when he finely asks for the divorce ....lots of money involved in this one....yes and he's the baddie, not her.

It will make no difference, financially.

its an irrational fear of tampons!:hihi:

my husband is like that-it drives me nuts as usually if I am asking him to get something out of my handbag its because I am doing something else.

For some reason (well quite obvious really) this has just reminded me of a classic Young Ones sketch featuring a young Jennifer Saunders :D

I don't see the problem unless you have something to hide and the relationship is based on deceit. My OH can read my emails and does because I have nothing to hide and I read his because neither has he. We have a relationship based on mutual trust and open-ness

...or neither of you are keen on it but rather than raise suspicion you go along with it and in truth there's no trust at all.

Are you sure?

As an employee I would never send, or ask to receive, anything confidential using my work email, because I know it could be read by the network administrators.

Even in a home environment, somebody often manages all the email accounts and is likely to read some stuff even if inadvertently.

It might be rude, but I can't think it's illegal.

RIPA 2000... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_of_Investigatory_Powers_Act_2000#Prosecutions_under_the_RIPA

Cliff Stanford, and George Nelson Liddell pleaded guilty to offences under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act in 2005. They were found to have intercepted emails at the company Redbus Interhouse.[16] Stanford was sentenced to six months' imprisonment suspended for two years, and fined £20,000. It was alleged Stanford had intercepted emails between Dame Shirley Porter and John Porter (Chairman of Redbus Interhouse).[17]

Could possibly argue it's covered under some other laws too, but somebody has been fined for intercepting emails under RIPA. Now & again a network admin may need to look at the occasional email, if there's some kind of technical problem with an account or server, I doubt that would be prosecuted, but if it's covert surveillance then it should be regulated under RIPA.

Yes, it is illegal. Reading anyone's communications - electronic or otherwise - without their permission is a criminal offence.

It's not a criminal offence.

A couple of years ago my ex went in to my house, while I was away, and went through everything I own. The whole house. Read ALL my emails, and messages on the computer. Didn't leave a stone unturned.

I had the police round.

They just rang him to tell me to leave him alone. My ex agreed he had done it. He was looking for stuff to try to prove I was a bad mother, apparently.

No mention of anything illegal, by the police - just inappropriate.

Archived