What film and is it true?

I saw a film many years ago it was either a British Army or plane crash in the desert scenario (I think!) where they were running out if water and a guy dug a hole but it was dry, he then poured all their remaining water in to the hole to set off some kind of process which caused the hole to fill with water from underground (just before the others throttled him)

I would think the film was 50's, anyone know the film and anyone know if the theory behind pouring the water in is valid.

Just to say there is no point sending me guesses as to the name of the film because I don't know it.

I can't think of any situation in which pouring water into a hole in the desert would achieve anything other than the water draining away.

You can however make a desert still with a piece of plastic, a small stone and an empty jar. They can even be used to purify urine.

jb

I can't think of any situation in which pouring water into a hole in the desert would achieve anything other than the water draining away.

You can however make a desert still with a piece of plastic, a small stone and an empty jar. They can even be used to purify urine.

jb

GAH... You mean I could have PURIFIED it first ?! :rant:

I saw a film many years ago it was either a British Army or plane crash in the desert scenario (I think!) where they were running out if water and a guy dug a hole but it was dry, he then poured all their remaining water in to the hole to set off some kind of process which caused the hole to fill with water from underground (just before the others throttled him)

I would think the film was 50's, anyone know the film and anyone know if the theory behind pouring the water in is valid.

Just to say there is no point sending me guesses as to the name of the film because I don't know it.

Sounds like it was one of those old comedy Carry On films.

Pouring remaining water in a hole :hihi: :hihi:

jb

Er ... you'd have to be pretty desperate to start drinking urine (no pun intended) ... when you reach the point where you have to drink it (to avoid death kinda stuff), there'd be none left for you to pee!

Perhaps the idea of pouring water onto the dry sand is to cause osmosis from the damper sand below? ... bit of a long shot if you ask me.:)

Er ... you'd have to be pretty desperate to start drinking urine (no pun intended) ... when you reach the point where you have to drink it (to avoid death kinda stuff), there'd be none left for you to pee!

Perhaps the idea of pouring water onto the dry sand is to cause osmosis from the damper sand below? ... bit of a long shot if you ask me.:)

You wouldn't be drinking urine. The idea is to wet the ground at the bottom of the still, the sunlight then evaporates off just the water which is collected in your jar.

If however you find yourself in such a situation but without the materials to build a still then IIRC it is better to swap urine with someone else rather than drink your own.

jb

Archived