Express Car Insurance

Signed up with them on one of the compare sites.

Had to scrap my car so I cancelled the policy.

They have sent me a bill for the rest of the policy (just over 3 months left).

I was on the impression that most insurances stopped charging you when you stopped using their service?

I didn't read read the T&C's when I signed up. :roll: I went for the cheapest deal as I was expecting to use it for the full year, so I don't need lecturing about that, even if I'd knew I would have probably taken it anyway just on price. (the difference was quite big compared to the next best deal)

I would like to know is this common with insurers? As this is only my third policy.

If it's legally binding then fair enough I'll pay it, I'm not disputing that, but it feels morally wrong that I am not using their product yet still being charged for it. I imagine even if they want compensation for it finishing early they still shouldn't demand the full amount?

Anyone had a similar situation while I dig out the paperwork and see what I signed up for?

My understanding is that, had you paid the full premium from the onset, they would have refunded you the unused amount for the cover period...BUT....less an appropriate admin charge, which in your case would have probably swallowed up most of the refund anyway.

It would be pretty much the same buying buying by installments...There's always the sneaky admin fees!

Archived