How different would the world be if most animals had hands?

our cat used to open the front door all the time. saved us letting him in!!

my dog taught herself to open doors wider so that she could get through. You would spy a big fat paw curving round the door:hihi:

We had to teach her to shut it though-by bashing it with a bit fat paw!

That was part of the OP, some animals ARE intelligent, would generations of experience of hthe use of hands help to develop intelligence more, through discovery? There's already animals that use "tools".

Oh and I mentioned in the OP that they WOULD have opposable thumbs.

I'm afraid, whatever you believe, animals are not intelligent. Animals other than humans are not intelligent as we can conceptually contemplate as we know it. Animals (other than humans) can just about grasp that a certain noise or action means that they gonna be fed, and nothing else beyond. The difference between us and other animals is that we are able to take given knowledge and apply it to various situations, other animals can not do that. Humans are unique in our ability to apply knowledge.

Animals can learn stuff, yeah, they can learn to crack a nut and know that, that will eventually yield something nice to eat, but they can't apply it like we can, they can't take that knowledge and apply it to say...applying this much force will break something else, they only know it will break what they have been taught it will break.

I'm afraid, whatever you believe, animals are not intelligent. Animals other than humans are not intelligent as we can conceptually contemplate as we know it.

Firstly, where do you get this from?

Let me help you to understand the definitions of the words you are using...

intelligence-

the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills:

an eminent man of great intelligence

a person or being with the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills:

extraterrestrial intelligences

contemplate-

look thoughtfully for a long time at:

he sat on the carpet contemplating his image in the mirrors

think about:

the results of a trade war are too horrifying to contemplate

think profoundly and at length; meditate:

he sat morosely contemplating

have in mind as a probable though not certain intention:

she was contemplating a gold mining venture

Many animals certainly meet the criteria for intelligence, how do you kn ow they don't meet any of the criteria for contemplation?

I very much doubt that animals can philosophise, but philosophy and intelligence are not the same thing.

Animals (other than humans) can just about grasp that a certain noise or action means that they gonna be fed, and nothing else beyond.

The difference between us and other animals is that we are able to take given knowledge and apply it to various situations, other animals can not do that. Humans are unique in our ability to apply knowledge.

Animals can learn stuff, yeah, they can learn to crack a nut and know that, that will eventually yield something nice to eat, but they can't apply it like we can, they can't take that knowledge and apply it to say...applying this much force will break something else,

Oh dear, sometimes I wonder if all humans are intelligent.

You're saying that animals can't apply knowledge to situations, then you're saying that an animal will know that if it can crack a nut it will get something nice to eat. You're giving the example that they can apply knowledge to situations right after you denied it!

they only know it will break what they have been taught it will break.

Just like we only know as much as we have been taught. A child wouldn't know that X lbs will be enough to snap a rope, unless it is taught this.

I'm going to bypass all the minor examples of animal intelligence and go straight to the top, how do you explain apes that can hold conversations using sign language?

I'm afraid, whatever you believe, animals are not intelligent. Animals other than humans are not intelligent as we can conceptually contemplate as we know it. Animals (other than humans) can just about grasp that a certain noise or action means that they gonna be fed, and nothing else beyond. The difference between us and other animals is that we are able to take given knowledge and apply it to various situations, other animals can not do that. Humans are unique in our ability to apply knowledge.

Animals can learn stuff, yeah, they can learn to crack a nut and know that, that will eventually yield something nice to eat, but they can't apply it like we can, they can't take that knowledge and apply it to say...applying this much force will break something else, they only know it will break what they have been taught it will break.

Absolute nonsense I'm afraid, the great apes are clearly very intelligent, they can conceptualise, they can empathise with each other, they can even empathise with other species, they have complex social structures. They are capable of a lot more than learning when they're going to be fed, that's ridiculous.

Some species of bird can do some of the things you claim no animals can do ffs!, let alone chimpanzees and bonobos.

Absolute nonsense I'm afraid, the great apes are clearly very intelligent, they can conceptualise, they can empathise with each other, they can even empathise with other species, they have complex social structures. They are capable of a lot more than learning when they're going to be fed, that's ridiculous.

Some species of bird can do some of the things you claim no animals can do ffs!, let alone chimpanzees and bonobos.

If only he could see that I'm a squirrel behind the keyboard.

Archived