Rainfall: Why do we measure it like we do? Who says?

I think the dog has been having a crafty drink of it now and again!!!! :hihi:

In another life I have used Rain Gauges out in remote areas for both information purposes and also to know whether the gangs that said work had stopped, because of rain, were telling porkies or not.

Woe betide you if the workers found out where the rain gauges were!

Now for the good one .........

If it starts raining, you run home to get out of the rain quicker.

However, by running, you will intercept more raindrops horizontally, than those that would have just fallen vertically onto your head and shoulders (and, in my case, ... belly).

At what speed do you get just as wet as you would have if you stood still?

Hahaha...I heard this somewhere recently, but I can't remember the answer. Walking pace?

No they wouldn't fill at the same rate. One would take twice as long to fill as the other. Surely? Bigger area to fill?

Ah, I now see the confusion. Although others have answered it, I'll add...

Any rainfall reference to "inches of rain", means depth over whatever area is being considered. So one inch of rain over a 12" square tray corresponds to 12" x 12" x 1" =144 cubic inches. A tray that measured 24" x 24" would need 576 cubic inches to fill to 1", but as it is 4 times the area it will have four times the rain landing on it, so it will also fill to one inch. Provided you don't funnel it into a container having a different area, then 1" of rain will always fill a straight sided container to a depth of 1". Basically, 'inches of rain' is independent of area. It is one inch depth of rain over whatever area is being considered.

What about snow fall? How on earth do you measure how many inches have fallen ... surely it'd block the funnel? :huh:

As a general rule of thumb, snow which is ten inches deep is reckoned to be equivalent to one inch of rainfall.

This only applies as it's falling and collecting; once it is on the ground and more snow falls on top of it, it becomes much more compacted and the ten-to-one measurement would no longer be remotely accurate.

As a general rule of thumb, snow which is ten inches deep is reckoned to be equivalent to one inch of rainfall.

This only applies as it's falling and collecting; once it is on the ground and more snow falls on top of it, it becomes much more compacted and the ten-to-one measurement would no longer be remotely accurate.

I'm aware of that ... I was being facetious. :)

Ultimately, what is the point measuring rain fall? why do they do it?

"2 inches of rain fell..." righto, thanks for that. :loopy:

The point is (I assume), is that it's very important, if you use water in your home. Yes I know you don't use rainwater (directly), but the water companies need to know how much 'water' there is generally. Which in turn will have a direct effect upon your water in your home!

Archived