Petition Government for a Public Enquiry on Banking.

It's only getting tired for those who don't want to hear it because it's a bit embarrassing. Did you not notice it is now Minibland who critices the banks on Labour's behalf because Balls is not credible having been part of the problem? There is far too much selective hearing and memory from the left on this issue.

You and I don't shoplift because we are likely to get caught and punished. The reward does not outweigh the risk. Bankers looted the country because it was not illegal and they were never going to get caught anyway. The rewards were massive and there was no risk. You and all the other moral high ground moralists would have done exactly the same given the chance.

Labour have admitted they should have regulated more. They have admitted mistakes. That is very important for us all. Remember that the Tories wanted to regulate even less - never forget that.

The thing is the banker's behaviour could turn out to have been illegal. There could be a whole raft of prosecutions on the way. There is certainly a growing appetite for it.

And no, I would never have done what the bankers did. There's millions of people who work in private business, including myself, who behave ethically, morally and correctly all day every day in the business world.

Both parties were complicit in the Banking Industry lack of regulations.

A Public Enquiry will give us the people the chance to see the dirty laundry of this crisis in the open.

Perhaps a better and easier protest would just be for everyone to switch banks to one that is not part of the big corporate gravy train. If people took more direct action to show their anger instead of the endlessly prattling on forums like this the message might start to get through. You cannot change culture. You can no more turn a Saudi into a Scotsman than turn a greedy corrupt banker into an honest banker. The same goes for politicians.

Nice to see you contributing again Bob. We will get our enquiry, there's over 8k people signed in 3 days now, it wont take long to hit the 100k for a Parliamentary debate. Then we will see which parties agree to this, and who hides behind the detail. ;)

There is a Positive Money meeting this Thursday at Quaker House 7.15pm if your interested?

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, the wife and I are in catering and as such one of us is always at work in the evenings while the other watches the kids. I don't even attend Labour Party meetings. But I will make a point of trying to keep up with with local campaigns.

Both parties were complicit in the Banking Industry lack of regulations.

A Public Enquiry will give us the people the chance to see the dirty laundry of this crisis in the open.

I agree. Just because I'm a member of a party, doesn't mean I can't be disgusted at, or publicly critical of the actions they took whilst in office (or maybe it does, I haven't read the small print).

Although I don't expect an enquiry will in itself solve the problems, it will, like you say, enable more people to be aware; not only of the crooked and criminal actions of financial institutions, but also how the whole model of financial services is inherently detrimental to the well being of the wider economy.

Labour have admitted they should have regulated more. They have admitted mistakes. That is very important for us all. Remember that the Tories wanted to regulate even less - never forget that.

The thing is the banker's behaviour could turn out to have been illegal. There could be a whole raft of prosecutions on the way. There is certainly a growing appetite for it.

And no, I would never have done what the bankers did. There's millions of people who work in private business, including myself, who behave ethically, morally and correctly all day every day in the business world.

Labour's apologies look very hollow when Balls is still masterminding their economic policy. The idea he has "learned lessons" is laughable.

Yes, and there could be little green men on Mars.

I suggest that you behave well because the risk outweighs the reward. If I gave you the key to the Bank of England's gold reserve (what's left of it) and it wasn't illegal to raid it and you were not going to get caught and nothing was going to happen to you would you be as moral? Not a chance.

Labour's apologies look very hollow when Balls is still masterminding their economic policy. The idea he has "learned lessons" is laughable.

Yes, and there could be little green men on Mars.

I suggest that you behave well because the risk outweighs the reward. If I gave you the key to the Bank of England's gold reserve (what's left of it) and it wasn't illegal to raid it and you were not going to get caught and nothing was going to happen to you would you be as moral? Not a chance.

You can suggest whatever you want but don't judge everybody by your own poor standards.

Im waiting for the economy to crash then we'll clear the lot of em out!

I thought the conspiracy theory went along the lines of that the impending financial crash is when the NWO steps in and takes control of everything, leading to 5 1/2 billion deaths as they downsize the global population to make their slaves more manageable?

On another note, I read an informal study yesterday, which states that the more conspiracy theories that someone believes, the more likely they are to believe others, even if those theories are contradictary to their initial beliefs. E.g. someone who believes the moon missions were faked are more likely to believe that the NWO / aliens have a base on the moon and regularly travel to and from the Earth. The only common element between the contradictary theories is that there has to have been a cover up.

It's only getting tired for those who don't want to hear it because it's a bit embarrassing. Did you not notice it is now Minibland who critices the banks on Labour's behalf because Balls is not credible having been part of the problem? There is far too much selective hearing and memory from the left on this issue.

I know truth and facts are difficuilt for you Jim, but I'm afraid it may be time to head off back to Rampton. What year were the stock markets deregulated? I think you will find it was 1986, and done by the Thatcher Govt.

Quote from Larry Elliot:

"There is a simple reason why output is still 4% below its peak and growing only slowly: the debt-driven model of economic growth deployed in the 25 years from the financial deregulation of the 1980s to the bank run at Northern Rock no longer delivers."

It was uder the very same govt that our manufacturing base diasppeared in the demented witches' zeal to create a service-lead economy, around which property speculation and financial services would feed off each other.

So, where's the growth gonna come from Jim???

"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end, but it is perhaps,the end of the beginning"

Winston Churchill.

It was said about the beginning of the end of fascism the last time that it reared it's ugly head. It is again here and now but ruling England. It will be defeated again. More and more people are waking up to the truth.

Archived