Why does it cost £38,000 a year for one inmate in a prison

Sky HD is about £60 a month and buying of new Xbox games at £35 each don't forget.

If inmates get those things I'd be surprised if the prisons are paying full subs per person rather than a site discounted fee. Likewise xbox... Prison paying or allowing prisoners to buy?

We should export the jobs , so that our prisoners go to jails in the countries that put the cheapest bids in to keep them incarcerated until their sentence ends. If they are still alive at the end of their sentence we could allow them back at the end of their sentence. No remission for good behaviour would be necessary as it would be nice and cheap in foreign prisons:)

If some die before their sentence is complete, well, tough luck!:D

We've tried that before. It's called Australia.

Sky HD is about £60 a month and buying of new Xbox games at £35 each don't forget.

If inmates get those things I'd be surprised if the prisons are paying full subs per person rather than a site discounted fee. Likewise xbox... Prison paying or allowing prisoners to buy?

They don't - or at least, they didn't 10 years ago.

When 'TV in cells' was introduced a few of the smarter prisoners (and there are one or two) realised very quickly that it wasn't simply 'an improvement in standard of living'.

The inmates paid 50p a week towards the cost of supplying the TV sets (which received 5 channels - if they were lucky.) If they damaged the TV set, they paid for it to be replaced. (That would probably take a long time, so they paid 50p a week and didn't get a TV set.)

Misbehaviour could be - and often was - punished by withdrawal of TV privileges.

Now that the inmates had TV in their cells, there was less need for them to have 'association' periods outside the cell - so they could be (and were) 'banged up' an hour or so earlier.

That in turn led to a significant reduction in manpower costs - staffing levels could be reduced one hour earlier.

If anyone watched the Gordon Ramsey in prison TV programme you will have learnt that it costs the UK taxpayer £38,000 a year per prisoner.

I am asking myself WHY does it cost so much?

Can anyone please explain as I think this is ridiculous.

I earn £6,000 to £7,000 a year as I work part time and although I have paid off my mortgage I claim no benefits because I cant. I pay my bills for gas, electric, phone/internet and my council tax which leaves me with little to live on and yet it cost £38,000 for a prisoner to live.

Mind boggling............

It doesn't.

The government always hike the price up for dramatic effect. Some one has quoted £100 ish a day, but is assuming 1 to 1 guarding in 3x8 hour shifts. But of course guards will police many prisoners at once which brings the price down.

If it really does cost £38,000 per prisoner per year, then I very much want to see a breakdown of costs, otherwise I might be tempted to think some one is on the take.

If prisoners and the unemployed are forced to work, it is only fair pensioners are too.

You really do come out with some utter tosh.

I'm heralding this thread as the most ill informed of the year - 5 months and counting to come up with something as idiotic as this.

It doesn't.

The government always hike the price up for dramatic effect. Some one has quoted £100 ish a day, but is assuming 1 to 1 guarding in 3x8 hour shifts. But of course guards will police many prisoners at once which brings the price down.

If it really does cost £38,000 per prisoner per year, then I very much want to see a breakdown of costs, otherwise I might be tempted to think some one is on the take.

Of course, Gordon Ramsey is a trusted source - His treatise on sweary cooking and penal accounting is second to none. When you have a vague knowledge of the subject do feel free to come back and comment.

I say again, this is the most ill informed and idiotic thread of the year.

You really do come out with some utter tosh.

I'm heralding this thread as the most ill informed of the year - 5 months and counting to come up with something as idiotic as this.

Generally speaking...

Unfunded pensions.

Unfunded dole.

Unfunded imprisonment.

(These may have been funded - but generally they haven't and some will be partially funded by the person receiving).

Archived