Driving test eyesight test

Did your instructor carry out an eyesight test on your first lesson? If they did then you should be fine unless your eyesight has worsened since starting lessons. The best thing to do is measure 20.5 metres from a parked vehicle and see if you can easily read the number plate. If you can't or have difficulty then go and get your eyes tested. By being unsure you are just adding a little more stress to the lead up to you test.

hi all i have my driving test coming up in a few weeks me and my instructor are confident i will pass ut the thing troubing me is the eyesight test has anybody past there test recently and how hard is the eyesight test? thanks for reading

Don't you think it would be a good idea to visit an opticians and have a full eye test. If you are that worried about the sight test, at your driving test, you would seem to know your eyesight is questionable so should you really be attempting to drive without glasses :cool::?:

Just make sure the examiner does not see your guide dog, good luck on your test :thumbsup:

Get an eye test done.

If you are finding it hard to see things clearly in daylight you will find it extra hard at night with the glare of the lights. I have to wear glasses for driving though I generally do without them for everything else. They make a massive difference when driving in the dark and also looking at road signs. If your like me and dislike wearing glasses just get a cheap pair for in the car.

Good Luck with your test :)

To clarify, the eyesight test involves being able to read a car's number-plate from:

20.5 metres (67 feet) from old-style number plates (y942 abc)

Or 20 metres (66 feet) from new-style number plates (ab11 xyz). The new-style plates use a slightly smaller font.

That's a good 20-25 lengthy strides.

If you can't, the examiner will allow you another try with a different car (and the alarm bell will already be ringing) and then will get a tape measure out for completeness and if you can't read it convincingly at the measured distance the test will be abandoned with a loss of test fee. The DSA will then write off to the DVLA to inform them if your need for (amended) eyesight correction.

Ask your instructor to test your eyesight. If he/she hasn't already checked it at the start of your learning (you've forgotten that bit, hopefully), he/she is guilty of a dereliction of duty (if not of aiding and abetting) and that would be more than just embarrassing for the instructor if you fail the eyesight test at the test-centre. An omission of such a check would suggest to the DSA a questionable "continuing fitness to instruct" and the instructor's next DSA check test might be a little challenging, let's say, since the DSA's sole purpose, over and above testing drivers, is to oversee and maintain instructional standards.

hi all i have my driving test coming up in a few weeks me and my instructor are confident i will pass ut the thing troubing me is the eyesight test has anybody past there test recently and how hard is the eyesight test? thanks for reading

You'll be fine- I presume you have glasses that your optitian has confirmed is suitable for driving

At the parkway test centre, theres some cars that will be parked at the side of the centre- they ask you to read one of those plates

You could always have a glance at the plates on the way in..

You'll be fine- I presume you have glasses that your optitian has confirmed is suitable for driving

At the parkway test centre, theres some cars that will be parked at the side of the centre- they ask you to read one of those plates

You could always have a glance at the plates on the way in..

... but the examiners do take a very dim view of instructors schooling their pupil on the number plates that they are likely to be asked to read.

It's not hard at all if you're wearing your glasses or contact lenses! If you don't require glasses or lenses then you should be able to read the number plate without any problems anyway. If you can't, then i suggest a trip to the opticians! If you can't see clearly then you shouldn't be on the road.

If you have your test at the Middlewood test centre, the instructor will walk you to the entrance and turn around and ask you to read the licence plate of one of the other instructor's cars that will be lined up alongside the car that you're in.

If you have your test at the Middlewood test centre, the instructor will walk you to the entrance and turn around and ask you to read the licence plate of one of the other instructor's cars that will be lined up alongside the car that you're in.

It's 45 years since I took my test and that part doesn't seem to have changed much at all. I'd have thought that by now it would have been possible to have an eye test chart in the office before even going out to the car.

I was asked to read the plate of the only car around, at the other side of the road, at an oblique angle. Panic, I couldn't. The examiner admitted it was "rather a long way away", so we crossed the road and tried again. No problem!!

Archived